Frequently Asked Questions

How do I schedule an advising appointment?

Advising appointments are scheduled online. If you require assistance with scheduling, contact the Academic Advising Center at 253.692.4857.

How can I tell if I am in a major and/or minor?

Log in to your MyUW, click on My Front Page, and look in the box showing your course schedule; if you are declared into a major and/or minor it will be listed, or it will show as premajor.


How do I declare a major or minor?

Minors can be declared once a major is declared, but not before. The majority of majors at the University of Washington Tacoma require students to complete 45 credits and a 2.0 in English composition prior to declaring the major. Additionally many majors have pre-requisites, courses that must be completed prior to declaring the major. Some majors have an admissions process involving an application for that major.  Both majors and minors that do not have additional steps can be declared using the request to declare or change major and add or drop minor form.  Majors that require pre-requisites and/or application are listed below, autumn quarter applications are typically due March 15, winter quarter applications are typically due October 15, please see program websites for specific details.

Is there a waiting list for classes?

No, there are no waiting lists for classes. However, sometimes a professor may over-enroll a class and a student can get in with an add code. It is also possible a student registered for the class may drop that class, so if there is a class you want to register for that is full, check back frequently. Students also have the option to sign up for Notify.UW course notification service. Notify.UW provides free course notifications for closed and open courses to students via email or text alerts. Sign up at


Where do I send my updated transcript?

Your most recent transcript should be sent to the following address:

University of Washington Tacoma
Office of Admissions
Campus Box 358400
1900 Commerce Street
Tacoma, WA 98402-3100

The UW Tacoma institution code for electronic transcripts is 412.


I took Advanced Placement (AP) and/or IB courses in high school; do I get credit for those at UW Tacoma?

UW Tacoma requires a minimum AP score of 3 or 4 to earn credit. Scores should be sent from the College Board to UW Tacoma (institutional code 4445). If a student is awarded credits, this information will be accessible on MyUW. AP score translations may be found at:

IB: In most cases, five quarter credits (or more) are granted for higher level subjects in which a grade of 5 or higher is earned. The easiest way to ensure that UW Tacoma receives your IB transcript is to name the UW as a recipient when you sign up for IB program exam(s). If you did not name the UW as a recipient when you took your exam, contact the IB organization to request that an official transcript be sent directly to the UW Tacoma Office of Admissions.

Are there jobs on campus that I can apply for?

Yes, there are many on-campus jobs that students can apply for. For more information, you can visit the Student Employment page on Human Resource’s website at or contact Career Development at 253.692.4421 or


I need my enrollment verified for insurance, loan deferment and/or other purposes. Who can help me with this?

A verification of enrollment form should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar (MAT 253). You can submit your own form for the specific agency, or use a form from Enrollment Services


Does applying for graduation mean that I can walk in the ceremony in June?

Applying for graduation--which is required for all students--is not the same as participating in the graduation ceremony (known as commencement). Applying to graduate means that you are completing your final degree requirements to earn your diploma. To participate in commencement, you must apply separately, as well as order your cap and gown. Details about this process are usually emailed to students about two months prior to the ceremony. Those who complete their graduation requirements in Autumn through Spring quarter have the option to attend commencement in June. Students who are also completing their last credits for graduation over the summer can attend commencement in June prior to finishing summer classes.


Where can I buy my parking pass?

Parking permits usually go on sale just before the quarter starts and remain on sale until sold out. Permits are purchased online at You will need your credit card information to place the order. Parking passes arrive in the mail. Email to check the status of your permit order.


Who should attend new student orientation?

Orientation is recommended for students new to UW Tacoma. All first-time in college students are required to participate in an on-campus orientation. Orientation is optional for transfer and Running Start students. Transfer and Running Start students may choose to participate in an on-campus, or on-line orientation.


When should I get my measles immunization form in?

Students must submit measles verification no later than week 3 of their first quarter of attendance or a hold will be placed which will prevent future registration. You can mail the Measles Immunity Verification form to the Registrar’s Office or drop off in-person to MAT 253. New students should receive the form with their admission packets. The form is also available online at