Frequently asked questions
- How do I know if I'm a transfer student?
- What is required to transfer to UW Tacoma?
- How many credits do I need to be eligible to transfer?
- Do I need to submit SAT or ACT scores?
- Do I need to have completed an associate degree to apply?
- What is the guaranteed admission program for transfer students?
- When should I apply?
- How do I know if my credits are transferable?
- I last attended college 10 years ago. Are my credits still transferable?
- My previous college used a semester system. How do I convert my semester credits to quarter credits?
- Can I change my application quarter after I've submitted my application or been admitted?
- Can I attend part time?
- Is there student housing available?
How do I know if I'm a transfer student?
You are considered a transfer student if ALL of the following statements describe you:
- You wish to enroll at the University of Washington Tacoma to earn your first bachelor's degree.
- You are no longer in high school (regardless of how old you are or whether you graduated).
- You will have completed any course work at a regionally accredited college or university.
What is required to transfer to UW Tacoma?
Currently all transfer students to the University of Washington Tacoma must complete the following requirements:
- Intermediate algebra with a minimum grade of 2.0 (either in high school or college)
- Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale at the time of application
How many credits do I need to be eligible to transfer?
Any amount of transfer credit from a regionally accredited institution qualifies you to apply as a transfer student.
Do I need to submit SAT or ACT scores?
Applicants with fewer than 45 college academic credits must submit SAT or ACT Plus Writing scores and also must:
- Fulfill the college academic distribution requirements
- Submit their high school transcripts
Do I need to have completed an associate degree to apply?
An associate degree is not required to transfer to the University of Washington Tacoma.
What is the guaranteed admission program for transfer students?
Students who are Washington state residents and have completed an approved transfer degree at a Washington state community college with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 are guaranteed admission to UW Tacoma. Please note that this guarantees admission to the university and not to a specific academic program or major. Students must still submit an application by the application deadline to be admitted.
When should I apply?
UW Tacoma admits students every quarter except summer. Review the application deadlines for more information.
How do I know if my credits are transferable?
Review the general guidelines for transferable credit or look up the courses you have completed in the University of Washington's online course equivalency database. You may also make an appointment with an admissions adviser to review your transcripts by calling 253-692-4742.
I last attended college 10 years ago. Are my credits still transferable?
In most cases, the answer is yes. There are no time limitations on most credits used to satisfy admission requirements. Some prerequisite classes (usually in math or science) must have been completed within the last five years. Of course, if you haven’t taken math for 20 years, you may want to enroll in a basic math course to refresh your skills. An admissions adviser can help you evaluate your existing college credits.
My previous college used a semester system. How do I convert my semester credits to quarter credits?
One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits. Therefore, a 3-semester-credit course is equivalent to 4.5 quarter credits, and 60 semester credits are equivalent to 90 quarter credits.
Can I change my application quarter after I've submitted my application or been admitted?
In some circumstances, you can defer your application to a future quarter within the same academic year without having to re-apply or pay another application fee. Learn more about deferring your application.
Can I attend part time?
Most academic programs offer a part-time option. Check with an admissions adviser or the academic program for more information.
Is there student housing available?
Limited student housing options at UW Tacoma are available and increasing each year, and there are many other housing options available in the area. Learn more about housing options.
Have a question we haven't answered? Ask us.