Students who are registered in a course using Canvas will see the Course listed under the "Courses" tab when they login (canvas.uw.edu). The course will not be visible until the faculty member teaching "publishes" the course site.
Typically your faculty will send an email or announcement letting you know that the site is ready for you to access it.
From then on, you can access Canvas from the UW Tacoma homepage or go directly to https://canvas.uw.com/ and login with your NetID and password.
These guides will help you learn how to use the common tools in Canvas. If you cannot find what you are looking for or if you need additional help, please contact our helpdesk by phone 253-692-4357 or email email@example.com.
Below is a video that shows how to navigate Canvas' homepape. It touches on everything from logging into Canvas, becoming familiar with the dashboard and to-do lists, as well as the main navigation bar.
Editing your profile
Update your Profile
- Click the Settings link in the Help Corner.
- Locate and click the Profile navigation link.
- Click the Edit Profile button.
- Enter in the information you would like people to see.
View this video with captions: vimeo.com/75056433
- How are Announcements listed?
- How do I view an Announcement feed?
- How can I get Announcements on Facebook?
- How can I get Announcements on my phone?
- How can I get Announcements on Twitter?
- How can I get Announcements through my email?
- How do I subscribe to an Announcement Feed?
- How do I reply to an Announcement?
- How do I create an Announcement?
- How do I add an external (RSS) feed to my Announcement?
- How do I delete an Announcement?
- How do I edit an Announcement?
- How do I link to course content, files, and images in my Announcement?
How to have conversations with instructors or peers
Communicate with your instructor and peers
There are multiple ways to interact in your course. Some interactions include Announcements, Discussions, and Conversations.
Announcements: Announcements are a way for instructors to communicate with students about course activities. Students can only create announcements in a group workspace.
Discussions: Canvas provides an integrated system for focused and threaded discussions, which allows both instructors and students alike to start and contribute to as many discussion topics as desired.
Conversations: Conversations is the messaging tool used instead of email to communicate with a course, a group, an individual student, or a group of students.
Announcements (All Class Participants)
- Click the appropriate Announcement title.
- Leave a reply for appropriate announcement.
Discussions (All Class Participants)
- Click the appropriate Discussion title.
- Leave a reply for appropriate discussion.
Conversations/Inbox (One or more recipients)
- Click the Inbox link in the Help Corner.
- Enter a name, course, or group you would like to send a message to.
- Write and send the message.
Assignments - Keeping track and submitting
Assignments are any online activity submission that is graded by the instructor. Assignments include Quizzes, graded Discussions, and online submissions (i.e. files, images, text, URLs, etc.) There are multiple ways to find your Assignments.
- View the Recent Activity feed on your Dashboard.
- View the To-Do List on the right sidebar.
- View the Coming-Up feed on the right sidebar.
- View your Calendar.
- Hover over the Assignments link in the Global Navigation, and view the To Turn-In list.
- Locate and click on the Assignments navigation link, and view the Upcoming Assignments list.
- Locate and click on the Grades navigation link, select the appropriate course, and view your Assignments list with corresponding grades.
Submit your assignments
Submit your assignments
- Select the assignment that needs a submission.
- Click the Submit Assignment button.
- Select submission type tab (File Upload, Google Doc, Text Entry, etc.)
- Upload assignment.
- Click the Submit button.
- Wait until you see the Submission ✓Turned In! message.
How do I view Instructors Comments on my Assignment?
Turnitin submissions and reading reports
Turnitin® is integrated into the Assignments tool in Canvas. When a faculty member intends to use the tool, Turnitin, you must first be notified. Once you submit your assignment, a report will be generated. Your instructor will determine whether you will have access to the report before your work is graded, after your work is graded or after the due date. Any concerns about use of the tool, Turnitin, must be discussed with your faculty member in advance.
If an instructor has created the assignment in such a way to make the "originality reports" available to the students, you can go to your grades area or into the assignement to view the results.
Check your Grades
Check your grades
- Click the Grades link in Global Navigation.
- Select the course you want to check your grades in.
- View grades.
Collaborating with Google Docs and EtherPad
Upload, View and Share Files
Create and E-Portfolio
Using the Calendar
- What is the Calendar?
- How do I view the Calendar?
- How do I filter my Calendar view by course?
- How do I add a personal reminder to my Calendar?
- Where can I find the Calendar iCal feed?
- How do I subscribe to the Calendar Feed using Outlook?
- How do I subscribe to the Calendar Feed using Google Apps for Education?
Using and Troubleshooting Conferences
Interacting with People and Groups
- Who are the People in the course?
- What are Student Groups?
- How do I view Groups?
- How do I join a Student Group?
- Which Groups am I enrolled in?
- How do I create a Student Group?
- How do I store and share Files in my Group?
- How do I start a Discussion with my Group?
- How do I share a whiteboard with my Group?
- How do I send a message to a group?
- How do I chat in real time with my Group?