If you are considering the Teacher Certification Program after you complete your bachelor's degree at UW Tacoma, there are benefits to including the Education minor in your undergraduate plan. This minor is offered by Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences but is open to all undergraduate students at UW Tacoma.
The Education Minor offers provisional admission decision option with automatic admission to our Teacher Certification Program without an interview. To be eligible, you must:
- Submit complete application to the Teacher Certification Program by the priority application deadline, third Friday in February.
- Complete the Education Minor by the time the Teacher Certification program begins in summer quarter.
- All Education minor courses must be completed with a grade of 2.7 or higher.
- Education minor core courses TEDUC 471, 482 and 490 must have been taken in academic year 2012-13 or later to qualify.
- Complete prerequisite coursework for the K-8 Teacher Certification Program with grades of 2.7 or higher. Most Education minors will have completed the K-8 prerequisite coursework:
- Two (2) writing intensive courses (e.g. English composition and literature)
- Developmental Psychology
- TEDUC 490 Replacement for Education Program Interview document from your TEDUC 490 professor. You must request this from the professor and s/he must be willing to submit this on your behalf by the priority deadline.
- Must have a cumulative average of 3.0 for last 90 credits of undergraduate study; 1) at the time of priority deadline, and; 2) maintain 3.0 through remainder of undergraduate studies.
Completion of the Education minor will guarantee completion of 40 hours of documented experience in a public school classroom, which is an admission requirement for the Teacher Certification program.
Two of the required Education Minor courses, TEDUC 471 and TEDUC 482 (2.7 grade or higher and must have been taken in academic year 2012-13, or later, to qualify), will count as equivalent courses for two of the courses within our Teacher Certification Program, TEDUC 520 and TEDUC 501, respectively.*
Talk with your academic advisor if you wish to declare the Education minor.
*If not taken as part of the minor, TEDUC 471 and TEDUC 482 (2.7 grade or higher), will still count as equivalent courses for TEDUC 520 and TEDUC 501.