Executive Council Meeting Key Topics

Main page content

Key topics in the EC meeting on 4/23/18 were:

  • PI Policy proposal – Turan Kayaoglu presented, EC gave feedback, a few small suggestions but largely supported the revised policy.
  • Teaching Evaluation Policy – several significant concerns voiced.  Decided to circulate Sushil Oswal’s earlier version of the policy, and provide more time for reps. to consult with their respective faculty.
  • Academic Plan Criteria – The working of one criterium was revised (see below) and otherwise the criteria were deemed acceptable.
    • Balance of academic disciplines and programs, building on our existing expertise and interdisciplinary emphasis.

Key topics in the EC meeting on 3/30/18 were:

  • Professional Development Chart: Dean and Director Feedback & Final Dispensation

    • Initially collected by the Lecturer Affairs Committee
    • feedback/concerns: need to provide context as well as the chart
    • discussion: how do we publish this material and in which form?
    • Will publish the version with the dollar amounts + addendum from Deans and Directors
  • Admissions: Report and Review Current Practices 

    • Karl Smith, Associate Vice Chancellor & Chief Admissions Officer

    • college academic distribution requirements (CADR’s): from the State
    • presented a table of enrollment summary with admission deficiencies in Autumn 2017. World language contributes to most of the deficiencies.
    • admission process: initial assessment (different for high school vs. transfer students), threshold review (eg. GPA, SAT etc.), holistic reviews (e.g. background, AP classes, etc.)
    • new students admitted with an admissions deficiency in Autumn 2017: most deficiencies in world language and lab science.
    • demographics of newly admitted deficient students in Autumn 2017.
  • Revisions to Diversity Designation (Menaka Abraham)

    • approved
  • Proposed Policy on Teaching Evaluations (DC Grant)

    • will elaborate on best practices and will be back on the agenda of the next EC meeting
  • Inclusive Pedagogy Readings

    • concerns: ground rules of the discussion
    • readings will be used to start the conversation among all faculty members
    • Institute of Technology: Chuck has shared materials (articles + videos)
    • Education: Rob will lead the discussion and has selected 2 readings + activity
    • Urban Studies: DiAngelo article
    • Nursing: DiAngelo article (choice) but shared all articles as well
    • Business: will discuss the article choice with Faculty Council chair
    • Social Work: Williams et al. article
    • SIAS: Diversity council working on diversity guidelines
    • Library + TLC: discussion among staff and consultants

Key topics in the EC meeting on 3/5/18 were:

  • Units Reports re. Shared Governance Structure, Course Scheduling, Course Releases:
    • SOE – Has an interim Elected Faculty Council
      • Meets at least once quarterly
      • Drafting By-Laws
      •  Couse Scheduling – staff reach out to faculty, largely consistent year to year
      • Course releases offered for faculty program coordinators – 1 course, with exception of  M.Ed. coordinator who gets two courses
    • NHCL – Whole faculty is the Faculty Council – Chaired by Director (11 FT faculty)
      • By-Laws
      • Scheduling – survey of faculty requests, then planning session, then finalized, majority evening classes
      • Course releases – 1 for Graduate Program Coordinator
    • Urban Studies – Faculty Council is all 12 FT Faculty members – Director chairs
      • Scheduling – based on passed schedule, then negotiated in faculty meeting after that
        • Course releases-  1 for each of the two Grad. Program Coordinator,
        •  By-Laws
    • Milgard – Elected Faculty Council – 5 members, 4 TT 1 Lecturer
      •  By-Laws,
      •  Scheduling –Coordinated by Associated Dean – Faculty make requests
      •  Course Releases – research productive, Program Director – 1 course release, lecturer
  • Inclusive Pedagogy Readings:
    • Different units have different issues around creating an inclusive classroom
    • Distinction drawn between disciplines with substantive (humanities, arts, social sciences) vs. methodological (STEM) inclusive pedagogies
    • Need for readings specific to discipline.
  • Student Success Initiatives – Colleen Carmean presented
  • Student success indicators presented
  • Utility of Hybrid courses for inclusion of Armed Forces students, International students, and those needing to meet residency requirements for graduation.

Key Topics in the EC meeting on 2/23/2018 were:

  • EVCAA search update: applications are in, zoom interviews in Feb., on-campus site visits expected in the first 2 weeks in the Spring quarter.
  • Unit reports:
    • Institute of Technology has bylaws
      • course scheduling is mostly done by PA, in collaboration with advisors and faculty
    • SWCJ has bylaws; their faculty council meets with director and PA
      • course releases for program chairs with some exceptions
      • course assignment and scheduling, constrained by accreditation and program requirements (e.g. MSW is a part-time evening program).
    • UEAC has bylaws
      • do not schedule any courses or have course releases
    • SIAS has bylaws that divisions follow
      • chair of faculty council in SIAS gets 1 course release
      • MAIS
        • the only graduate degree in SIAS
        • course scheduling: director is responsible to schedule courses
        • Director gets 3 courses off and $100 per month stipend.
      • CAC (Culture and Arts Communication)  
        • chair (3 course release), vice chair (2 course releases). $100 per month stipend 
        • vice chair takes care of scheduling and annual reviews. Scheduling in collaboration with advisors.
      • SBHS
        • scheduling: chair receives data from SIAS, collects info from faculty
        • 1 chair (3 course releases)
      • SAM
        • 4 majors
        • scheduling done by chairs
        • vice chair (recent addition), 1-2 course releases depending on rank
        • chairs: among (tenure track) TT faculty, serve 2-3 years, 2.5 course releases
        • TT faculty has a teaching load of 4.5 because of labs
  • Proposed Non-competitive hiring policy:
    • the goal is to encourage competitive hires
    • concerns regarding resources and flexibility
  • APT guidelines:
    • minor revisions on the wordings
    • approved by EC
  • Student panel - actionable items:
    • request for more information for more depth
    • focus groups to get more information
    • safety on campus
    • broader groups
    • Faculty Affairs: climate surveys will provide more comprehensive info
    • library hours, textbooks, maybe focus groups with themes
    • feedback box
    • grad student representation

Key topics in the EC meeting on 2/5/2018 were:

Student Panel Notes


Key topics in the EC meeting on 1/12/2018 were:

  • EVCAA Report & Academic Planning: We discussed the upcoming phases of the academic planning. After the rubric is due next Monday, the Deans and Directors will work on their summaries. The rubric will be used for internal purposes only.

  • Report on Faculty 2050 initiative 
    • This is a vision exercise before the new provost comes in.
    • The idea is that the faculty we hire in the next 10 years will be leaders in the future. The goal is to support these new faculty members.
  • Student Conduct Report – Ed Mirecki, Dean of Student Engagement 
    • There has been a decrease in misconduct cases. This could potentially be due to communication and awareness among faculty members.
    • New code of conduct in August 2017 changed the way the conduct code is being administered.
    • Discussion: partnership with faculty, culture of UWT, how to support students with mental disability
  • Parking Update – James Sinding, Auxiliary Services Manager 
    • Transportation program: need to find a new funding source for the UPASS program
    • request increase in parking rates
    • parking permit: might be able to renew in Spring for the following academic year
    • discussed parking options for part-time lecturers
  • Administrative Leader Search Updates/Timelines / EVCAA search feedback 
    • Discussed time line of search and the importance of clarifying the decision process.
    • Solicited feedback on the rubric.
  • Professional Development Funds Chart - Jeremy Davis, Co-Chair, Lecturer Affairs
    • Differences of funds available across job categories and across academic units
    • Enhance transparency of budget at the unit level

Key topics in the EC meeting on 12/11/2017 were:

  • EVCAA search – Ad is out, message to campus being crafted
  • Jill and Ka Yee have joined the newly formed UW Committee on Faculty Discipline – charged to review and possibly revise code on faculty discipline policy and procedures.
  • EVCAA report:
    • Off-Quarter Hiatus Pilot program in place:  Part-time Faculty during a one quarter break may retain access to workday, and have option to self-pay the UW portion of their benefits, to provide continuity over the quarter interval.
  • UEAC Unit Report:
    • UEAC is focused on the CORE curriculum this year.  Recognizing the need to create clear pathways to majors, it is putting together a plan with themed blocks that hopefully will help students find like-minded peers during their first year and begin exploring broad disciplinary themes together. 
    • EC will consider whether or not to add UEAC rep. to APCC in a future meeting.
  • Proposed PI – Policy: discussion
    • Chair will draft a response memo to proposed policy for EC review before sending
  • Consideration of a “Dogs on Campus” policy – EC has decided to look into this topic in a future meeting.

Key topics in the EC meeting on 12/1/2017 were:

  • introduction to our guests: 
    • Gordon Aamot, Director, Scholarly Communication and Publishing, Research & Learning Services Librarian
    • Liz Bedford, Scholarly Publishing Outreach Librarian
    • George Sandison, the UW Senate Vice Chair
  • Academic Plan Update
    • One Drive and S Drive folders set up to share rubric, completed rubric from faculty, process plan, data
  •  EVCAA search update by Ka Yee Yeung:
    • First committee meeting before Thanksgiving
    • Plan to have job ad posted before the end of the Autumn quarter
  • AVCEI search update: candidates will visit in Jan 2018
  • UW open access (OA) policy
    • Discussion led by Gordon Aamot, Liz Bedford
    • faculty open access policy across all 3 campuses
    • motivation of OA policy
      • disconnect between creation and ownership/distribution
      • scholarly research is mostly produced with public dollars, but results are controlled by publishers and hidden behind paywalls
      • power imbalance between publishing industry vs. authors
      • paywalls create barriers for distributing research
    • UW’s recommended policy based on Harvard model
    • benefits
      • contribution to the public good: available globally for free
      • greater visibility and impact
      • no publication charges to make work OA
      • retain rights to work that are usually lost to publishers
      • aid preservation of the scholarly record
    • proposed policy
      • automatic, non-exclusive license to UW
      • opt-out (waiver) automatically granted if author requests
      • deposit author’s accepted manuscript (final version), just before the copyright transfer agreement and before proofs, in UW repository
    • opt out vs. opt in: 
      • no longer an individual negotiating: it is a policy of the faculty of UW
      • UW can re-license to author if necessary
    • student work is currently not covered by this policy
  • unit reports
    • SIAS (Jutta Heller with comments from Sushil Oswal)
      • advisory council on diversity
      • shared values/structure across 5 units
      • academic program review (SIAS self study with external reviewers last May)
      • grad program under full-scale assessment
      • Master’s in Environmental Science proposed
    • Institute of Technology (Jenny Shenny with comments from Ka Yee Yeung)
      • all the programs are working on the academic planning
      • new electrical engineering (EE) undergraduate program
      • student faculty ratio (engineering students need hands-on help)
      • faculty search in EE and computer science
    • Social Work and Criminal Justice (Michelle Garner)
      • changed name to Social Work and Criminal Justice in 2016
      • offered 2 different pathways for Master’s program with a cohort model and evening classes
      • total 19 faculty among which 13 of them in Social Work and 6 faculty in Criminal Justice
      • 2 faculty searches (one in Social Work, one in Criminal Justice)
      • working on academic plan
    • Urban Studies (Mark Pendras)
      • academic plan
      • guidelines for lecturer promotion
      • 2 new master’s degree in the last couple of years (GIS, MA in community planning)
      • self assessment of these degrees and curriculum
      • livable city year program with city of Tacoma
      • new BA degree in urban design
      • annual public forum on child friendly cities in February 2018
    • UEAC (undergrad education advisory council)
      • core is 4 courses, highly interdisciplinary
      • want to bring more attention to the first year experience
  • Honorary degree policy
    • default to EC or EC will form a sub-committee
    • Motivation: different nominees will need different expertise
  • time schedule matrix: open hour policy
    • Mark Pendras and Lauren Montgomery will look into this issue

Key topics in the EC meeting on 11/17/2017 were:

  • Academic Plan Update
    • Rubric:  First two deadlines extended to Jan. 15, and Feb. 7 (from 12/15 & 1/15)
    • Rubric changes – For each question –a write-in choice will be added
  •  EVCAA report:
    • Regents Meeting last week – Academic plan, enrollment report
    • No new hires next year (other than those already approved)
    • Replacement hires considered on a case by case basis
  • SAES- update by Mentha Hynes-Wilson
    • Goal is for students to start strong and end strong
    • Described our student demographic & the new normal of our student needs
    • How to be helpful without coddling or enabling
    • Emergency Aid Fund for students: accessed through Ed Mirecki
  • Constructive Engagement Dialogue – SIF project (Jane Compson & Richard Wilkinson)
    • Working on Challenging Conversations – Three methods - Cultivating Compassion, Non-violent Communication & Crucial Conversations
    • Discussed timing and venue of the workshops, lots of support expressed  
  • Unit Reports: 

School of Education

  • Master of Education – new specialization in Social and Emotional Learning
  • Master of Education Admin. - thriving
  • EDD program admitting 3rd cohort
  • New minor, education and community Engagement

Nursing & Healthcare Leadership

  • B.S. Nursing – holding steady, accredited program with associated struggles
  • B.A. Healthcare Leadership – holding steady, could grow
  • Master of Nursing – trend toward Ph.D. is pulling numbers down

Milgard School of Business - Assoc. Deans and Faculty council

  • codifiying policies and decision making
    • Performance evaluation
    • Service loads for lecturers
    • By-Laws reviewing
    • Launching a “Success Center” for students – helping them prepare for and find jobs

Key topics in the EC meeting on 10/30/2017 were:

  • Academic Plan update – Launch for Wed. Nov. 1 is on target
  • PI Policy – Turan Kayoaglu presented a draft policy for PI’s of research grants
    • EC will revisit this again soon for more discussion
  • Paulsen Committee Procedures – approved by unanimous vote
  • Graduate Program Director Position – discussed and provided feedback to EVCAA
  • Administrative Leader Search Updates – EVCAA committee is formed, awaiting their charge

Key topics in the EC meeting on 10/13/2017 were:

  • Budget workshop with VCFA Tye Minckler
    • Reviewed Primer 1 (see meeting materials)
    • Reviewed budget terminology – “temporary funds” term may be phased out
  • Reviewed budget process – EC/Faculty input occurs in the Autumn (formulate recommendations) and in the Spring (review, discuss and advise Chancellor on 2018-19 budget)
  • EC is acting as the Faculty Budget Committee as pilot project this year.  The hope is to understand the campus budget to allow for informed faculty recommendations.  EC will review the work at the end of the year and make recommendations for the future.
  • Reviewed the draft Academic Plan Rubric and Message to Campus
    • Suggestions were made for refinements of the rubric.
    • Message and Rubric will be finalized and sent to units later this month.
  • Voted to approve APT recommendations to review appointments where the rank of the appointment is higher than the current rank of the applicant.
  • Voted to approve PNOI Instructions submitted by APCC.

Key Topics in the EC meeting on 9/25/17 were:

  • Chair and Vice Chair will share task of leading meetings
  • EC will now have reports from units each quarter to promote a campus wide understanding and perspective among faculty.
  • Senators will also report to EC and post on the FA blog on a quarterly basis.
  • Faculty Assembly Blog is now up to make FA work visible to campus community.
  • Quarterly FA meetings will be business meetings rather than special topic events.  
    • Winter Quarter -  Monday 1/22/17, at 12:30pm – budget workshop, Tye Minckler
    • Spring Quarter - Monday 4/23 at 12:30, topic tbd, probably Academic Plan
  • EC is now the Faculty Budget Committee.  Pilot this year then see for the future.
  • Academic Plan will determine whether or not we move toward an RCEP process for the campus.
  • FA will hold elections for Chairs of standing committees in Winter quarter to provide time for on-boarding of future chairs during Spring quarter.
  • Search updates from Chancellor:
    • Assistant Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion: search underway, outside consultant running the search, plan to have person in place by January, 2018.
    • Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs:  Search will be internal to UW system, committee members being recruited now.  Small, agile committee of ~7 people, no consultant firm, and plan to have hire by end of academic year, for an Autumn 2018 start.
  • Charges for Standing Committees