The annual Global Engagement Conference is hosted by the Institute for Global Engagement and is competitively open to all students from UW Tacoma and area academic institutions, engaged in globally focused learning. The conference also features capstone projects of UW Tacoma's Global Honors students, representing a diverse range of majors.
The 2019 Global Engagement Conference will be held on Wednesday, May 29 and Thursday, May 30, on the UW Tacoma Campus in the Milgard Assembly Room, Jane Russell Commons and Judith Graubard Kopp Gallery.
We invite proposals from undergraduate and graduate students who have pursued global research through their studies or other supervised research opportunities. The deadline to submit proposals is FRIDAY, MARCH 1. Applicants will be notified of decisions in mid-March.
Conference themes include:
- Global Innovation & Design: Design thinking for community solutions; Community-engaged innovations for global challenges; Grassroots/participatory communication and development
- Environment: Food/water access and scarcity; Sustainability degradation/pollution; Smart cities and the environment
- Globalism: Nativist responses; Diasporic identities; Refugees and migration
- Health & Human Rights: Body, community, environment; Social determinants of health; Population health; Migration and refugee flows; Indigenous rights and recognition
- Media & Security: Transnational media networks, Global consumerism and hybrid identities; Social media and fake news; Soft power; Cyber-surveillance and/or policing; Community and political security; Proliferation and disarmament
Please check back in March 2019 for conference registration, event schedule, keynote speakers, and more.
We hope you will join us!
2018 Global Engagement Conference
2017 Global Honors Colloquium
2016 Global Honors Colloquium
2015 Global Honors Colloquium
2014 Global Honors Colloquium
2013 Global Honors Colloquium