Through the generous support of the Bamford Foundation, the IGE invites UW Tacoma students to apply for one of ten (10) awards of up to $1000 each to help fund their participation in UW Study Abroad in 2018. Awards may be used for study abroad program fees, flights, and incidental expenses while studying abroad.
Applications will be reviewed and winners will be selected by a four-person committee of UW Tacoma faculty and staff, appointed by the IGE office (see below).
- To promote UW Tacoma student participation in UW Study Abroad.
- To enable students who have not previously studied/traveled abroad or who would not otherwise have the opportunity to do so to participate in UW Study Abroad.
- To promote cross-cultural understanding.
- To promote global engagement, citizenship, and leadership.
Current University of Washington Tacoma students who have applied or plan to apply to a study abroad program or internship through UW Tacoma Study Abroad, UW Seattle Study Abroad, or UW Bothell Study Abroad. Programs should typically be at least three weeks in length.* Students who have not previously studied/traveled abroad are especially encouraged to apply.
*Students applying to study abroad programs lasting fewer than three weeks, or programs offered by non-UW organizations (e.g. specialized/private study abroad companies) may be eligible if the program in question may nonetheless be applied to UW academic credit. In these or similar circumstances, please contact the IGE office directly to determine eligibility. Applicants who are also Global Honors students, and who intend to apply their study abroad to a Global Honors capstone, must complete a program of at least three weeks in length.
Amount of the Award
Ten (10) awards of up to $1000 each.
Applications may be submitted via the link at the bottom of this page. Applicants must answer a series of questions and include:
- An up-to-date resume/CV.
- A brief application statement, explaining their interest in a specific study abroad program (up to 500 words).
- A personal statement, explaining how study abroad fits or complements their academic and career goals, and how the experience will impact their understanding of themselves and others (up to 1000 words).
Please also note the additional student expectations outlined in the IGE Study Abroad Award Guidelines (part F).
Friday, March 9, 2018
Review Process and Criteria
Applications will be submitted to a four-person committee consisting of UW Tacoma faculty and staff. Committee members will be invited to serve based upon their experience working in contexts/capacities relating to global, international and cross-cultural education. The committee will receive a rubric to assess application and personal statements, and decisions will be based upon student need and merit.
Award Process and Student Expectations
A PDF copy of these guidelines, including details for award process and student expectations (part F), can be downloaded here.