The Global Honors Program is committed to student excellence and leadership in an interdependent, globalizing world. The program reflects the mission of the UW Tacoma to educate diverse learners and expand the boundaries of knowledge and discovery.
Global Honors Students will:
- Demonstrate global self-awareness and understanding of the interdependencies of global systems.
- Demonstrate understanding of global citizenship in terms of personal and social responsibility within culturally diverse contexts.
- Demonstrate understanding and effective application of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Demonstrate understanding of global innovation and leadership as it is practiced in contemporary global contexts.
- Demonstrate enhanced skills in research, critical thinking, writing and oral communication.
Assessment of Learning Outcomes:
(Numbers in parentheses correspond to the Learning Outcomes each assesses)
- Papers and projects in Global Honors core seminars, maintaining a 3.3 overall grade point average (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)
- Presentation on study abroad at lunch seminars (1)(2)(5)
- Completion of a capstone thesis, study abroad, or internship under the supervision of a faculty advisor, earning a 3.3 minimum grade (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)
- Presentation at the Annual Global Engagement Conference (5)
Employers and graduate programs are keenly interested in candidates who excel above and beyond conventional degree holders in the field. Global Honors students, not least those who opt for a study abroad experience, will enjoy a competitive advantage over their peers. The core curriculum will impart students with a sophisticated understanding of the intricacies of global interactions and prepare them for the challenges of a global society.
Global Honors students may expect:
- Membership in a highly invested, collaborative, globally aware and critically engaged community.
- Innovative learning through integrated academic and experiential curriculum taught seminar-style by internationally reputed faculty and community leaders.
- Eligibility for merit awards and scholarships for global research, travel, conference participation and experiential learning.
- Professional connections and globally focused career opportunities through the Institute for Global Engagement (IGE).
- Access to dynamic network of mentors and funded global learning opportunities through the IGE’s Student Engagement and Directed Research Programs.
- Graduation with transcripted Global Honors distinction and Minor in Global Engagement. Certificates in Global Leadership and Global Citizenship.
- Specialized Honors advising and enhanced access to UW opportunities.
- Dedicated Reading Room with informal study space, computers, printers, and other resources.
- Sophomore or junior level admission (2 and 3 year pathways).
- Lifelong distinction and membership in dynamic and highly engaged Global Honors Alumni network.