The Health and Society minor is open to all UW Tacoma students, except Nursing and Healthcare Leadership majors. The Health and Society minor offers students the opportunity to increase their understanding of, and advocacy for, health within a broad social context. The courses enable students to make use of valid sources of information, to understand health policy, and to examine individual, community, environmental, and global health issues. The Health and Society minor provides a valuable study option for students with allied health work experience or students interested in the health care sector.
The minor in Health and Society requires 25 credits to include:
- T HLTH 310: Health, Illness and Society (5 credits)
- THLTH 440: Business of Health Care (5 credits)
- Plus 15 credits from among the following courses:
- T HLTH 320 Promoting Health through Social Marketing (5 credits)
- T HLTH 330: Adolescents in Film (5 credits)
- T HLTH 415: Representations of Health Policy and Ethics in Film (5 credits)
- T HLTH 420: Holistic Health (5 credits)
- T HLTH 430: Adolescent Health in Context (5 credits)
- T HLTH 455: Knowing Health and Illness Through the Arts (5 credits)
- T HLTH 470: Challenges and Controversies in U.S. Healthcare (5 credits)
- T HLTH 480: Death and American Society (5 credits)
- T HLTH 485: Critical Issues in Global Health (5 credits)
- THLEAD 360: Healthcare Leadership Strategies (5 credits)
- THLEAD 380: Healthcare Budgetary Analysis and Financial Decision Making (5 credits)
- THLEAD 410: Ethical Issues in Healthcare (3 credits)
- THLEAD 420: Healthcare Accreditation and Legal Issues (3 credits)
Declaring a minor
To apply, submit a Request to Add a Minor form to your major department with a printed copy of the requirements for the minor/certificate attached. Your program advisor will sign and forward the request to Enrollment Services. You cannot declare a minor after the third week of the quarter in which you intend to graduate.
Graduating with a minor
When applying for graduation, the student's major program advisor will list the minor requirements on the graduation application. Upon graduation, the minor will be indicated on the student's transcript, but will not appear on the diploma.