The Health and Society minor offers students the opportunity to increase their understanding of, and advocacy for, health within a broad social context. The courses enable students to make use of valid sources of information, to understand health policy, and to examine individual, community, environmental, and global health issues. The minor in Health and Society is open to qualified UW Tacoma students who are in undergraduate majors other than Nursing or Healthcare Leadership.
The minor in Health and Society requires 28 credits to include:
- T HLTH 310: Health, Illness and Society (5 credits)
- THLEAD 407: Diversity, Health, and Inequities (3 credits)
- Plus 20 credits from among the following courses:
- T HLTH 320 Promoting Health through Social Marketing (5 credits)
- T HLTH 325 Medical and Ethical Issues in Literature and Culture (5 credits)
- T HLTH 372 Environmental Health: Local to Global (5 credits)
- T HLTH 410 Environmental Equity (5 credits)
- T HLTH 415 Representations of Health Policy and Ethics in Film (5 credits)
- T HLTH 420 Holistic Health (5 credits)
- T HLTH 425 Violence in Intimate Partner Relationships (5 credits)
- T HLTH 430 Adolescent Health in Context (5 credits)
- T HLTH 435 Women's Health, Women's Lives (5 credits)
- T HLTH 440 Business of Healthcare (5 credits)
- T HLTH 445 Health in a Developing Nation Study Abroad (5 credits)
- T HLTH 470 Challenges and Controversies in U.S. Healthcare (5 credits)
- T HLTH 480 Death and American Society (5 credits)
- T HLTH 485 Critical Issues in Global Health (5 credits)
- THLEAD 410 Ethical Issues in Healthcare (3 credits)
Declaring a minor
To apply, submit a Request to Add a Minor form to your major department with a printed copy of the requirements for the minor/certificate attached. Your program advisor will sign and forward the request to Enrollment Services. You cannot declare a minor after the third week of the quarter in which you intend to graduate.
Graduating with a minor
When applying for graduation, the student's major program advisor will list the minor requirements on the graduation application. Upon graduation, the minor will be indicated on the student's transcript, but will not appear on the diploma.