Goodbye Blackboard, Hello Instructure Canvas!
UW spent the past year evaluating and involving faculty and students in looking at Instructure Canvas as a potential three-campus LMS solution. Led by the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges and including representation from each of the six four-year universities, a statewide LMS RFP process took place and Canvas was selected. Canvas will be replacing Blackboard Enterprise as the system for hosting online learning activities and course content. Throughout the 2012-2013 school year, courses on Blackboard will be migrated over to Canvas. All online content hosted in Blackboard will need to be moved to Instructure Canvas by May 31, 2013. This website is devoted to keeping you updated on the process, future migration planning and introducing you to Instructure Canvas.
Why the move to Canvas?
Canvas offers exciting features, such as:
- NetID Login and automatic course enrollment.
- Clean, intuitive user interface, featuring drag and drop usability throughout.
- Notification options for faculty and students using Facebook, Twitter, text message and more.
- Robust tool for migrating content (including quizzes and assignments) from Blackboard.
- Significantly faster tools for grading (Speed Grader).
- Wikis, RSS feeds, web conferencing integrations and more.
- Integration with Google docs.
- And much more...
What will this mean for me?
Simply put, it means change, but many resources will be available to make it easy on you. Any courses that you have on Blackboard would need to be migrated to Canvas during the 2012-13 academic year. Blackboard would go offline in June 2013.
How do I get started?
We will be expanding this page over the next few months, but for now, check out these resources for more information.
If you would like to get started with Canvas, please fill out our Canvas Master Course Request Form and we will begin thr process of creating your course shells in Canvas and scheduling a training session with you.
Contact us if you have any general questions!