Every person who has a UW NetID has a default email address of email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (they are equivalent). Official messages from the University are sent only to your UW email address. You can keep your UW email address after you graduate or no longer attend UW.
What are my options for email?
- All UW Tacoma students (except Nursing and Healthcare Leadership)
- All UW Tacoma students (except Nursing and Healthcare Leadership) must use UW Google email. These accounts are not the same as your personal Gmail accounts. Please do not choose email forwarding to your personal email account. Refer to the UW Tacoma email policy for more information. Once you activate your email (see below), you can access your UW Google mail through MyUW.
- UW Nursing and Healthcare Leadership
- UW Tacoma Nursing and Healthcare Leadership students are required to use UW deskmail (Alpine) to meet HIPAA requirements and should not use the UW cloud services (UW Google) or personal email accounts. Follow these instructions on how to configure your UW email for deskmail (alpine). Once you have your email configured for UW deskmail (Alpine) you will check your email through MyUW or by going directly to Alpine.
UW Google Email is a free email service available for current UW students, and former students as part of UW Google Apps. It provides ad-free email and calendaring with over 7 GB of storage and continued use of your @u.washington.edu or @uw.edu email address. To activate a UW Google Email account, you must sign up for UW Google Apps services.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Can I forward my email to my personal account?
- Please do not forward your UW email to your personal email account. When you activate your UW Google email, you will have the opportunity to change your email forwarding to UW. Refer to the UW Tacoma email policy for more information.
Where do I go to check my email?
- Once you activate your email, you can access your UW Google email through MyUW. Nursing and Healthcare Leadership students can access Alpine through MyUW.
How do I setup my Smartphone(cell) for email?
- The settings for your smart device (tablet or cell phone) vary depending on what you are using for email.
- Please refer to the UW Smartphone Self Help page for the required settings.