Information Technology and Systems (ITS) emphasizes the theoretical foundation and practical experience necessary for a career in such areas as information assurance, system and network administration, web services, and database management.
If you have turned in your ITS application, and you are still working on pre-requisites, please note that we will review your application once you are done with your pre-requisites. We know that some of you are still taking courses during Spring and Summer. Please make sure that we get your updated transcripts when you are done with your classes.
Students are required to complete all of the following prerequisites before applying to the Information Technology and Systems program. For transfer students, please use the UW Equivalency Guide to determine how your courses will transfer.
- Precalculus (TMATH 120 or Precalculus I & II at most community colleges)
- Object-Oriented Programming I (TCSS 142)
General University Admission requirements
Students must complete the general university requirements listed below before applying.
- 5 credits of freshman composition (English 101 or equivalent)
- 5 credits of intermediate algebra (Math 99 or equivalent) or higher level math course
Students are encouraged but not required to complete as many of the following general university requirements as possible before transferring to UW Tacoma.
- Foreign language: Two years of the same language in high school or 10 credits of one foreign language at the college level
- Writing: 5 credits of advanced composition or technical writing
- Individuals and Societies (Social Science) [I]: 10 credits
- Visual, Literary, and Performing Arts (Humanities) [V]: 10 credits
Note: College-level foreign language does not count toward [V].
All applicants should have:
- A cumulative GPA of at least a 2.5 in all college coursework*
- A GPA of at least a 2.5 in all college math, science, computer science or engineering coursework
Students with previous baccalaureate degrees or extensive work experience should meet with an adviser to discuss options.
Admission to the Information Technology and Systems program is competitive. Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Completion of all prerequisite courses
- Overall previous academic performance
- Goal statement
- Completed ITS Application
- Demonstrated interest in Information Technology
Applicants to the BS in Information Technology and Systems program are encouraged, but not required to complete either an associates degree from a community college, or the first two years of study at a four-year institution. All qualified applicants are considered for admission to the Information Technology and Systems program.