The Computer Engineering and Systems program embodies the science and engineering of design, construction, implementation and maintenance of both the hardware and software elements of computing systems containing embedded computers.
Admission to the major is competitive. Please review the prerequisites and application process carefully.
All applicants are required to complete these prerequisites before being accepted to the Computer Engineering and Systems program. For transfer students, please use the UW Equivalency Guide to determine how your courses will transfer.
- Must be admitted to the University of Washington Tacoma
- Calculus I (TMATH 124), Calculus II (TMATH 125), Calculus III (TMATH 126)
- Differential Equations (TMATH 307)
- Matrix Algebra (TMATH 308)
- Physics I (TESC 121), Physics II (TESC 122), Physics III (TESC 123)
- Introduction to Programming (TCSS 142)
- Object-Oriented Programming (TCSS 143)
- Electrical Circuits (TCES 215)
- *5 additional credits of a lab-based science: Chemistry I (TESC 141) or Biology I (TESC 120)*
*If the physics series is completed at UW Tacoma, no additional lab science is required.
Required cumulative GPA of at least a 2.5 in all required prerequisite coursework.
Prospective students can find information on admission to UW Tacoma by visiting the UW Tacoma Admissions site.
All applicants must complete the Computer Engineering and Systems program application. This includes current UW Tacoma students and transfer students.
You are encouraged to schedule an appointment with an Institute of Technology advisor during the application process. Schedule an appointment with an advisor...
Currently, the Computer Engineering and Systems program admits qualified students in the autumn quarter only.
Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Completion of all prerequisite courses.
- Cumulative GPA in all prerequisite courses. Competitive applicants will have earned at least a 2.5 in each prerequisite course.
- Overall previous academic performance.
All applicants must have a minimum of:
- Completion of 45 college-level credits.
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in all college coursework.
- Have a cumulative GPA in all required prerequisite courses of at least 2.5.
All qualified applicants are reviewed for admission to the Computer Engineering and Systems program in the order that they applied.
Students with previous baccalaureate degrees or extensive work experience should meet with an advisor to discuss options.