The Computer Science and Systems program emphasizes the theoretical foundation and practical experience necessary for a career in the challenging and rewarding profession of software design, development, and maintenance.
Currently, the Computer Science and Systems program admits qualified students for autumn, and winter quarters only.
Admission to the major is capacity-constrained. Please review the following prerequisites and application process carefully.
All applicants are required to complete these prerequisites before being accepted to the Computer Science and Systems program.
For transfer students, please use the UW Equivalency Guide to determine how your courses will transfer.
To qualify for admission to the Computer Science and Systems program, applicants must first be admitted to the University of Washington Tacoma and have complete the following courses:
- Calculus I (TMATH 124 or equivalent)
- Beginning Autumn 2017 - Calculus 2 (TMATH 125 or equivalent)
- Any lab-based science such as Physics (TPHYS 121), Chemistry (TCHEM 141), or Biology (TBIOL 120)
- Introduction to Programming (TCSS 142 or equivalent)
- Object-Oriented Programming (TCSS 143 or equivalent)
Required cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 in all required prerequisite coursework.
Please note that all applications submitted currently, will be considered for autumn Quarter 2018 admission.
The autumn quarter 2018 application deadline is May 15, 2018.
Admission to the CSS program is capacity-constrained so applications must be submitted on or before the application deadline to be considered.
Applicants typically have grades of 3.0 and higher in prerequisite math, science, and computer science courses as well as a strong cumulative grade point average.
1. Before applying to the CSS major, you must be a UW Tacoma student. Admission to UW Tacoma
2. All applicants including current UW Tacoma students must complete the Computer Science and Systems program application
3. You are encouraged to schedule an appointment with an Institute of Technology advisor to create an academic plan.
Admission Selection Criteria
Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Completion of all prerequisite courses.
- Cumulative GPA in prerequisite courses. The most competitive applicants will have earned at least a 3.0 in each prerequisite course.
- Overall previous academic performance.
All applicants must have a minimum of:
- Completion a total of 45 college-level credits.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in all college coursework.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA in all required prerequisite courses of at least 2.5.
All qualified applicants are reviewed for admission to the Computer Science and Systems program in the order that they applied.
Students with previous baccalaureate degrees or extensive computing work experience should meet with an advisor to discuss options.