Bachelor of Science Information Technology
The Institute of Technology at UW Tacoma is preparing students for a variety of positions in Information Technology to meet the growing IT needs in the Pacific Northwest.
The Information Technology Major admits new students once per year in the Autumn quarter only.
The Autumn 2017 Application for admission to the IT program has closed. Applications are now being accepted for Autumn 2018.
Read Victor's complete testimonial "My favorite thing about the ITS cohort is the community and friendship I’ve built with my classmates and professors as we've learned together."
- Victor Palanchuk, Security Operations Intern at Avanade
Read Kylie's complete testimonial "While in the ITS program, I was exposed to all different subjects and fields of IT that I never knew existed and the professors were very passionate about the subject that they were teaching."
- Kylie Rosado, Application Analyst, Puyallup School District
Read Roberto's complete testimonial "Being an IT major opened up so many opportunities for me and in the process expanded my knowledge of different areas of technology."
- Roberto Sanchez, TCFP (IT Career Foundation Program), Boeing
Read Kyle's complete testimonial "One thing I particularly enjoyed was the way we progressed through the program as a cohort; this really helped to build and/or strengthen lasting relationships and teamwork."
- Kyle Levy, Corporate Operations Engineer, Google
The IT program is for you if:
- You are interested in a program that responds to emerging trends in the next generation of information technologies.
- You value real-world education experiences. As part of this program, students will gain hands-on experience by working in industry as part of their program.
- You are an active learner, passionate about current trends in technology, and capable of achieving the goals of designing, managing, and supporting the next generation of information systems.
*If you have questions about the IT program and the applicatin process, we encourage you to meet with an Institute advisor. Schedule an appointment: http://www.booknow.so/techuwt
What makes the IT degree unique?
Although intimately tied to the computing field, the IT program differs from the Computer Science and Computer Engineering programs in the following ways:
Emphasizes a practicum and interest-based specialization-oriented degree. This means that there is a greater emphasis on application, deployment, configuration and development than on theory and principles. Students can choose to specialize in a sub-area of information technology such as Cybersecurity or Digital Forensics.
Actively responds to emerging technology trends and diversifications in information systems. The technology that manages information changes quickly as practitioners attempt to address real-world problems in industry, government, research, and education. This program will respond to changes that reflect trends.
Requires real-world experience by participating in an internship. As part of the required curriculum IT students are required to participate in information technology related internship. This exposes students to what it is like to work in the IT industry.
Schedule an advising appointment
by clicking on the PURPLE widget on the bottom left.