This minor introduces students to the field of public history, which trains historians to be active participants in society using new and innovative methods to convey history to a wide range of audiences. They strive to teach the value of history and the need to learn about the past to better understand the present and shape the future.
Students who could benefit
- Students who are applying to graduate studies in history, anthropology, art history, and library science.
- Students who want to work in museums, historical societies, or on historical sites.
- Students who want to work as preservationists, curators, educators, oral historians, park rangers, interpretive guides, media and public relations professionals, and public policy analysts.
- Environmental Science or Studies students who are interested in working in zoos and other sites that educate the public about the history and current state of the environment.
Public History minor course requirements
All minors must be completed with a 2.0 minor GPA. Please see an advisor to discuss details.
United States History Core: 10 Credits
History Elective: 5 Credits (List A)
- TANTH 464 Native American Cultural Areas
- TARTS 311 History of Rock and Roll
- TARTS 411 History of Jazz
- TEGL 419 African-Amercian Culture and Consciousness (formerly THIST 419)
- TESC 247 Maritime History and Science in the Pacific Northwest
- TEST 221 Environmental History: Water
- TEST 332 A Natural History of Garbage
- TGH 301* Global Interactions
- THISP 238 Hispanics in the United States
- THIST 212 The Military History of the United States From Colonial Times to the Present
- THIST 220 African American History 1619-1865
- THIST 221 African American History 1865-1945
- THIST 222 African American History 1945-Present
- THIST 226 American Architecture
- THIST 320 Asian American History
- THIST 333 Early American Music, Art, Literature, and Theater
- THIST 336 Black Labor and Protest Music in Historical Perspective
- THIST 340 History of United States-American Indian Relations
- THIST 341 African American History
- THIST 410 Early American Politics; Constitution and Law
- THIST 411 History of Religion in America
- THIST 413 Civil Rights, Civil Liberties
- THIST 416 Life and Thought: Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and Angela Davis
- THIST 417 United States History 1945-Present
- THIST 420 African American Religious History
- THIST 437 Doing Community History
- THIST 440 Black Labor in America
- THIST 441 Black Freedom Movement in Perspective
- THIST 444 The Pacific Northwest
- THIST 445 History of Tacoma
- THIST 456 North American Regions
- THIST 487 Technology in the Modern World
- THIST 488 History of Urbanization and the Environment
- TLIT 438 American Folklore
- TPOLS 322 American Labor Since the Civil War
*Must be in Global Honors to take this course; students who maintain a 3.5 GPA are eligible for the Global Honors Program. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Public History and Research Core: 15 Credits (List B)
- THIST 430 Introduction to Public History
- THIST 470 The Material World: Art and Artifacts
- TIAS 496 Internship (5 credits max) contact faculty advisor for details
Architectural, Art, or Local History Elective: 5 Credits (List C)
How to declare
You can declare a minor by completing the Request to Declare/Change a Major or Minor form and submitting it to the Office of the Registrar. You must have earned a minimum of 45 credits and declared a major before declaring a minor. If you have any questions about this process, please see your advisor.
To request changes to this page, please contact Kelly Kledzik at firstname.lastname@example.org.