Independent study options
Electives in the your area of emphasis are generally selected from among IAS graduate courses or the graduate courses of other UW Tacoma programs. In addition, several independent study options can be used to fulfill MA elective requirements.
Choosing an undergraduate course topic
Graduate students may choose any UW Tacoma undergraduate course taught by any member of the UW Tacoma graduate faculty as part of a larger TIAS 590 project to satisfy graduate electives requirements. Your academic advisor should be consulted regarding the relevance of the elective to your course of study. You do not enroll in the undergraduate course itself, but in TIAS 590, under the direction of the instructor of the undergraduate course. Because TIAS 590 is an independent study option, you must contact the instructor directly, secure her or his agreement, and negotiate additional assignments that will raise the level of work to that expected of a graduate course. That plan must then be briefly, but adequately, described on the TIAS 590 enrollment form, and submitted to the IAS office along with the syllabus of the undergraduate course.
Choosing a topic outside the curriculum
You may also choose to draw up a contract with a graduate faculty member for study outside of current curriculum offerings. Through internships, directed readings, directed research or the thesis, you can focus your activities on specific areas of interest related to your overall educational goals. For more detailed information, contact either your faculty advisor or the graduate program advisor. If you are preparing for work on your thesis, be sure to read the thesis guidelines.
Independent study, project and thesis forms
- TIAS 590: Independent Study Form
- TIAS 596: Internship Form
- TIAS 598: Directed Readings Form
- TIAS 599: Directed Research Form
- TIAS 605: Degree Project
- TIAS 700: Thesis Form
- Thesis/Project Committee Chair Appointment Letter
- Thesis/Project Committee Member Appointment Letter
Registering for independent study/thesis
- Download and complete the appropriate form (see above) to draw up a contract with the faculty member you've selected.
- For the TIAS 590 form, attach a syllabus for the course you are planning to take.
- Enter the appropriate course SLN as found in the registration guide for the quarter/year you intend to register for these credits.
- Have the selected faculty member sign the form.
- Sign the form yourself.
- Make three (3) copies of the signed form.
- Bring one signed copy to the IAS program office no later than the 2nd Wednesday of the quarter. Keep a copy for yourself and your faculty advisor. Please allow two working days to receive the entry code.
- Completion of the form does not mean you are automatically enrolled. Use the entry code to register before the tenth day of the quarter.