The study of religion deepens our understanding of human nature and engages us in reflection on life’s greatest questions. The Religious Studies minor allows students to inquire into diverse religious beliefs and the social implications of these beliefs.
Students who could benefit
- Work or plan to work in any field related to religion.
- Work or plan to work in a field which brings you in frequent contact with people of different faiths.
- Are interested in applying to graduate studies in philosophy, regional studies, or international studies.
- Are Education students interested in religion into their classroom work, or who may work in religious-affiliated schools.
Religious Studies minor course requirements
All minors must be completed with a 2.0 minor GPA. Please see an advisor to discuss details.
Students must complete 25 Credit hours, with 10 required and 10 optional from any upper-division class.
Options for Remaining Credits
- TANTH 365 North American Indian Traditions
- TARTS 281 Art and Culture in India
- TARTS 282 Art and Culture in China
- TARTS 283 Art and Culture in Japan
- TARTS 284 Art and Culture in the Pacific
- THIST 356 History of Christianity (5) I&S
- THIST 411 History of Religion in America
- THIST 420 African-American Religious History (5) I&S
- THIST 477 Reformation and Counter-Reformation Europe (5) VLPA/I&S
- TPHIL 358 History of Philosophy: Medieval and Modern (5) I&S
- TPHIL 467 Philosophy of Religion (5) I&S
- TRELIG 310 Religious Diversity in America (5) I&S
- TRELIG 320 Confucianism and East Asian Modernity (5) I&S
- TRELIG 350 Religion, Philosophy and the Environment
- TRELIG 365 Hinduism and Buddhism (5) I&S
- TRELIG 366 Islam (5) I&S
- TRELIG 367 East Asian Religions: Zen and Taoism (5) I&S
- TRELIG 463 God: East and West (5) I&S
How to declare
You can declare a minor by completing the Request to Declare/Change a Major or Minor form and submitting it to the Office of the Registrar. You must have earned a minimum of 45 credits and declared a major before declaring a minor. If you have any questions about this process, please see your advisor.