Transfer Out Form

Main page content

This form is to request your SEVIS record to be transferred out to another U.S. educational institution.

Please note that if you have any holds on your student account, we may not be able to assist you until all holds are removed.

Before requesting your SEVIS record to be transferred out, please read the following important reminders:

  • OPT Students: If you are currently engaged with a Post-Completion or STEM Extension Optional Practical Training (OPT), please note that the OPT authorization will end immediately upon a SEVIS record transfer.

  • Grace Period: If your program end date or OPT expiration is nearing or has been reached, please note that your new institution must accept your SEVIS record and issue you a transfer pending I-20 before your grace period expires. Grace period is for 60 days. 

  • New Program Start Date: Upon your SEVIS record transfer, you must begin a new program of study at the earliest possible date or within 5 months.

  • International Travel: If you have upcoming international travel plans, you must present the transfer I-20 from the new institution upon seeking re-admission to U.S.

  • Applying for a F-1 Student Visa: If you are already outside the U.S. or going to be outside of the U.S. and will have an expired visa by the time you plan to return to the U.S., please be sure to apply for a Visa renewal using the transfer I-20 from the new institution.

We will be in touch with you by sending emails to your UW Tacoma email account regarding this request.

Number listed on the top left corner of your I-20, e.g. N0000012345
(Street Number and Name) (Apt. Number) (Town or City) (State) (Zip Code)
See important information for OPT students above.

New Institution Information

To Do

Confirmation of Acceptance: This request must accompany a confirmation of your acceptance to the transferring institution. Please submit a scanned copy of an acceptance letter or email to

Notification of Withdrawal: Students who are currently enrolled (and not graduating nor completing a degree program) are also required to notify Office of Registrar of their intent to transfer.

  • Office location: MAT 253
  • Phone Number: 253-692-4913
  • Email Address:

Exit Survey: In addition, currently enrolled (and not graduating nor completing a degree program) students are asked to complete an online ISS Exit Survey.

Transfer In Form: The new institution may ask you to submit a transfer in (transfer eligibility) form. ISS can assist you with the form. Please drop it off at GWP 102 or at DOU 401 (for Milgard students only).

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.