UWT Library Code of Conduct
The University of Washington Tacoma Library establishes and maintains a critical role in the educational processes of our students, staff, faculty, and community members. As part of the University of Washington Libraries, we contribute to academic achievement by providing resources and services that augment the teaching, learning and research at UW Tacoma. Our stewardship of information resources, delivery of instruction, and commitment to creating an environment for objective and imaginative enquiry serve as catalysts for the advancement of intellectual freedom and community prosperity.
The Library requires that users adhere to the University of Washington Tacoma Student Code of Conduct, the policies and procedures of the Library and the University, and to all local, state, and federal laws. In order to support the Library’s mission and provide an environment conducive to study, library users are expected to abide by the following guidelines and policies.
Respect for others
- Library users will respect the personal privacy, rights, and safety of others.
- Behavior that contributes to excessive noise levels is prohibited, including talking in designated quiet areas, loud talking anywhere in the Library, audible electronic devices, voice over IP conversations, or making other loud noises.
- Cell phones are to be set to silent or vibrate in the library and phone conversations are to be limited to designated areas; texting is allowed throughout the library.
- Threatening, intimidating, or disorderly behavior of any kind will not be tolerated, including verbal abuse, threats or acts of violence, harassment, or carrying or displaying weapons.
- Behaviors that are potentially unsafe or harmful are prohibited, including running, skateboarding or rollerblading, fighting, or throwing objects.
- Library users will not engage in any sexual activities including unwanted or inappropriate touching, unwanted or inappropriate advances, harassment or indecent exposure.
- Users may not prevent or limit access to Library resources or equipment through monopolization, theft, vandalism, or deliberate misplacement.
- Users may not disturb others with strong, pervasive odors, including perfume, cologne, body odor, or alcohol.
Respect for library property
- Removing or attempting to remove library property without official library authorization is not allowed.
- Defacing or damaging library materials (including marking, underlining, highlighting; removing pages, portions of pages, binding, or electronic security devices; folding pages, using sticky notes or paperclips) is not acceptable.
- Misappropriating, misusing, damaging, stealing, or obstructing use of library equipment, resources, or facilities is prohibited.
- Use of the Library is limited to areas authorized for public use and patrons are not to enter restricted areas.
- Users are required to leave the Library promptly at closing time.
- Users must leave the library when instructed to do so during emergency situations and drills.
- Personal belongings should not be left unattended in the Library at any time; the Library is not responsible for patrons’ personal belongings.
- Library staff reserves the right to place unattended belongings in the Lost and Found and/or turn them over to UWT Campus Safety.
- Sleeping is not allowed in the library.
- Animals, with the exception of identified service animals, are not allowed in the Library.
Use of computers and equipment
- First priority for computer use is always given to UW students, staff, and faculty.
- Academic uses of computers and equipment have priority over other uses; non-academic use of computers and equipment is discouraged.
- Users must respect any time constraints that may be placed on use of computers and equipment.
- Online activities that may slow down the computer network are discouraged.
- Computers and other equipment may not be used for destructive or illegal purposes, including loading file-sharing software, releasing viruses, using computers for network attacks, making illegal copies, etc.
- Tampering with the Library’s computers or other equipment is prohibited, including disconnecting or unplugging cords, opening panels, etc.
- Use of personal equipment, such as extension, adapter, or power cords, must not pose a safety hazard for others.
- Children must be accompanied and supervised by an adult who is solely responsible for their safety and behavior.
Food, drink, and tobacco
- Drinking beverages from covered/lidded containers is permitted in the library.
- Food consumption is limited to dry, quiet and clean snack foods. Take-out deliveries and meals are not to be taken in the library.
- Use of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana or controlled substances in the library is strictly forbidden.
Soliciting, posting, and distributing materials
- Vending, peddling, soliciting, and petitioning are not allowed in the Library or at its entrance.
- Postings must be pre-approved and stamped by the Student Services Office before being submitted to the Library for consideration.
- Only Library staff may post materials in the Library; please give items you would like posted to staff at the Circulation Desk.
- Materials posted without the Library’s approval will be removed.
- Users are responsible for complying with all applicable copyright laws when photocopying, printing, downloading, or disseminating content.
Proper use of identification
- Users will adhere to policies governing appropriate use of University identification by not allowing others to use their UW identification card or UW NetID.
- Users will present identification upon request.
Response to non-compliance
Library users found to be in violation of this code of conduct will be asked to stop non-compliant behavior. Continued failure to comply with the Library’s rules, regulations, and policies may result in removal from the premises or other disciplinary sanctions. Criminal behaviors will result in immediate action from Campus Safety or law enforcement without prior verbal warning.
Updated September 2014