Experience the difference that a Milgard School of Business education can make in your future! The Milgard School offers a world-class education that is tailored to the workforce in this region and beyond.
Milgard Direct Admits will:
- Pursue Business Administration as a major, selecting one of five options to tailor your degree to your interests and goals
- Engage with a cohort of business-minded students, while fulfilling General Education Requirements
- Qualify for Direct Admission scholarships
- Strengthen our community and earn real-world experience by participating in group service learning projects
- Receive personalized, one-on-one support and guidance
- Take advantage of fun opportunities to attend sports and cultural events as a group
- And much more!
How to Apply
By selecting a Business option as your first-choice major on your UW Tacoma application, you will automatically be considered for Direct Admission. Learn more about freshman admission to UW Tacoma.
Admission is competitive, and space is limited. If you aren’t admitted as a freshman, you can apply to Milgard at the end of your sophomore year. This will give you time to take the prerequisite classes that are required for admission as a junior.
Our Direct Admission program is an opportunity for stellar freshman and Running Start applicants to be admitted directly from high school into the business program at University of Washington Tacoma. We look forward to welcoming our future business and nonprofit leaders!
Academic Performance and Prerequisites
Lower-Division Business Courses
During the first two years at UW Tacoma, students work on completing general education requirements as well as lower-division business courses.
- TBGEN 111: Leadership Seminar
- TACCT 210: Financial Accounting I
- TACCT 220: Financial Accounting II
- TACCT 230: Managerial Accounting
- TBGEN 200: Introduction to Statistics in Business or TMATH 110: Introductory Statistics with Applications
- TBGEN 218: Business Law
- TBECON 220 or TECON 200: Introduction to Microeconomics
- TBECON 221 or TECON 201: Introduction to Macroeconomics
- English Composition
Upper-Division Business Courses
Milgard Direct Admission students must meet the following requirements before taking upper-division business courses and declaring a formal option in business:
- A cumulative GPA of at least a 2.75 in all college coursework.
- A cumulative GPA of at least a 2.75 in business prerequisites: accounting, business law, economics, and statistics.
- Business prerequisites and English Composition may not be taken P/F or S/NS. The minimum acceptable grade in these prerequisites is 2.0.
- Accounting students must earn a minimum 2.5 grade in all accounting prerequisites and a cumulative 3.0 average across accounting prerequisite courses.
All business students have to complete:
- 35 credits of upper-division business core courses
- 30-35 credits upper-division business courses
- 180 credits (minimum) to graduate with a BABA degree.
- A 1.7 minimum grade in all upper-division business coursework.
- A 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA in all upper-division business courses.