Library prepares for new space
As construction on the new Tioga Library Building nears completion, the UW Tacoma Library is preparing for significant changes to its facilities this fall.
When it opens for autumn quarter, the new building will house most of the Library’s collections, a new service desk, and staff offices. The original Library, now called the Snoqualmie Building, will be renovated to expand individual and group study and research spaces, technology, and a new home for the Teaching and Learning Center. The two buildings are connected by a skybridge.
The Library will be closed from August 22 – September 4 so that staff can move library materials and offices. The closure is scheduled after summer quarter is over, to minimize disruption for students and faculty. The Library will re-open to the public on September 5 in its new building.
Limited library reference and tech support services will be available during the closure at the Teaching & Learning Center in Keystone 202.
The Library will occupy the basement, first and second floors of the Tioga Library Building. The third and fourth floors are being reserved to accommodate future campus growth.
A grand opening ceremony will be held on October 3.
After the Library moves are complete, renovation will begin on the Snoqualmie Building to improve the historic Powerhouse (formerly known as the Snoqualmie Falls Power Company Transformer House) to include improved study and research space and campus event space. The second floor will be renovated to include a new home for the Teaching and Learning Center (TLC), currently located in the Keystone Building. The TLC is scheduled to open in its new space in January 2013.
The Snoqualmie Building was built in 1996 (the historic Powerhouse section dates to 1902) and was one of the first buildings opened on the permanent campus.