Thank you for your interest in developing study abroad opportunities for our students. Please contact Cindy Schaarschmidt, Director, Student Fellowships & Study Abroad, to discuss your ideas. Proposals for summer 2019 and academic year 2019-2020 programs will be due August 31st 2018, and proposals for early fall 2019 programs will be due October 15th 2018.
Study Abroad Info Sessions for Faculty
If you are interested in proposing a study abroad program, please come to one of our faculty information sessions to learn more about our priorities for study abroad, the proposal process, and how to create a budget for your program. Here are the spring quarter dates:
- Mon, April 23, 12:30-1:20PM
- Wed, May 9, 12:30-1:20PM
- Thu, May 17, 3-4PM
All sessions will be held in CP 206C.
Study Abroad Priorities
As the UW Tacoma Office of Global Affairs, we prioritize academically rigorous global learning programs that provide opportunities for our students to:
- Engage meaningfully with local communities in the host country;
- Conduct faculty-guided and independent research, scholarly, or creative work;
- Study the host country’s language (where applicable);
- Deepen their understanding of cultural diversity and develop global self-awareness; and
- Reflect on learning as part of the program, both in and out of the classroom.
We are also looking for program proposals in all fields of study that:
- Include coursework at the 200-300 level;
- Combine on-campus coursework with a study abroad program (so-called hybrid programs);
- Align with the social justice mission of UW Tacoma and the UW Race & Equity initiative;
- Are located in or visit Tacoma’s sister cities;
- Are developed in partnerships with two-year or four-year colleges and universities in the region.
Before you start working on your program proposal, please carefully review our faculty-led program policies.
Please note that a complete program proposal includes:
- Completed Faculty-led Program Proposal - please request at email@example.com
- Syllabus for each course,
- Program spending plan (budget) - please request at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Signed letter of agreement for each program instructor
- Signed letter of approval from academic department (home unit) of each program instructor