Below are links to help you search for study abroad and other scholarship opportunities. This is by no means a definitive list, just a starting point. We recommend you begin this process by meeting with a financial aid advisor in the Office of Student Financial Aid. We also encourage you to visit UWT's Office of Student Fellowships & Awards (OSFA) for additional support. Timing is important, so do get started early; twelve to nine months prior to needing the funds is best. You do not need to wait until you are admitted into your program of study to apply for most scholarships.

UW GO! global scholarships

UW's GO! global scholarships support students interested in globalizing their education. 

The Global Opportunities (GO) Scholarship is a competitive scholarship funded by the Washington State Legislature. It helps academically promising undergraduate students with significant financial need access international learning opportunities. 

The Fritz Undergraduate Scholarship is funded by the Chester Fritz Endowment. This academically competitive scholarship provides funding to students majoring in the humanities and social sciences.

Beinecke scholarship

The Beinecke Scholarship Program was established in 1971 by the Board of Directors of The Sperry and Hutchinson Company to honor Edwin, Frederick, and Walter Beinecke. The Board created an endowment to provide substantial scholarships for the graduate education of young men and women of exceptional promise. The program seeks to encourage and enable highly motivated students to pursue opportunities available to them and to be courageous in the selection of a graduate course of study in the arts, humanities and social sciences.

Boren awards for international study

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to add an important international and language component to their educations. We focus on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study that are critical to U.S. national security, broadly defined, and underrepresented in study abroad.

Critical language scholarship program

The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program provides overseas foreign language instruction and cultural enrichment experiences in 13 critical need languages for U.S. students in higher education.

The CLS Program is part of a U.S. government effort to expand dramatically the number of Americans studying and mastering critical need foreign languages. Undergraduate, master's and doctoral-level students of diverse disciplines and majors are encouraged to apply for the seven-to-10-week-long programs. Participants are expected to continue their language study beyond the scholarship period, and later apply their critical language skills in their future professional careers.

DAAD German Academic Exchange Service

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is the German national agency for the support of international academic cooperation. Programs and funding are offered to students, faculty, researchers and others in higher education, providing financial support to over 55,000 individuals per year. DAAD represents the German higher education system abroad, promotes Germany as an academic and research destination, and helps build ties between institutions around the world.


The Freeman-ASIA provides scholarships for U.S. undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia. The study abroad program must be credit-bearing and at least eight weeks long. Students will need certifications from a study abroad and a financial aid advisor.

Fulbright international education exchange program

Sponsored by the United States Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the Fulbright Program provides funding for students, scholars, teachers, and professionals to undertake graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary schools. Current students and recent grads should check out the Fulbright U.S. Student Program; this Fulbright option offers full or partial support to study, research or teach abroad.

  • Fulbright U.S. Student Program - The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for U.S. graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals and artists to study, conduct research, and/or teach English abroad. In addition, Critical Language Enhancement Awards are available to grantees for study of critical need foreign languages before or during their grant period.

Benjamin A. Gilman international scholarship program

The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide.

Japanese government scholarships

The Japanese government’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) offers scholarships for academic study in Japan to foreign students interested in deepening their understanding of the Japanese language, Japanese affairs and Japanese culture. The purpose of these scholarships is to promote mutual understanding and deepening friendly ties between Japan and other countries through the application of advanced knowledge regarding Japan's language and culture.

Luce Scholars program

Graduating seniors, alumni, graduate and professional students at UW are encouraged to apply for the Luce Scholars Program. This is a great opportunity for those with little or no prior experience in, or education about, Asian countries to add this valuable perspective to their future career interests.

More to explore

Use the following resources to expand your search by looking for additional funding opportunities based on your unique personal circumstances and educational goals.

The Office of Student Fellowships & Awards (OSFA) supports UW Tacoma students in their applications for competitive institutional, national, and international fellowships. In collaboration with campus partners, the OSFA raises awareness of fellowship opportunities, helps students develop the skills and personal insights necessary to pursue scholarships, and provides assistance throughout the application process. Check out the OSFA website for more information and a searchable fellowships database.

The Bonderman travel fellowship for undergraduates and graduates supports an intensive travel experience to expand personal horizons. The fellowship cannot be used for formal study, research or internships abroad.

The Undergraduate Research Program facilitates research experiences for undergraduates with UW faculty members across the disciplines. URP maintains a listing of current UW research opportunities and national programs. The URP assists UW undergraduates in: planning for an undergraduate research experience, identifying faculty mentors and projects, defining research goals, presenting and publishing research findings, and seeking funding for their research.

The Washington Scholarship Coalition launched this free web-based scholarship matching clearinghouse to connect students in Washington state with relevant scholarships in one stop — saving everyone time and making sure scholarships don’t go unused.

The IIE Passport study abroad funding site is an excellent resource, allowing students to search by various criteria to find scholarship funding for study abroad.