The Milgard School of Business offers customized executive education to local and regional companies. In addition to customized programs, the Milgard School of Business offers the Essentials of Management Program (EMP), providing an overview of key concepts, tools, and techniques required for long-term success in today's business environment.
Who is this Program for?
The EMP program is designed to serve individuals with a non-business or technical background who are looking to build business acumen. While developing superior leadership skills, participants gain insights into business strategy, marketing, accounting and financial analysis, project management, and global business.
Our program supports experienced managers gain a stronger foundation in current business theory and practice and managers who have experience in one area and want exposure to other areas to qualify for positions of increased responsibility. The program also provides a valuable learning experience for technical experts making the transition into management roles. Participants will become more effective by gaining a solid foundation in current business theory and practice. After completing this program, you will be equipped to make better business decisions about issues affecting your companies and careers. Participants also gain ongoing access to Milgard faculty, whose expertise in a wide variety of areas will be a valuable potential resource. For those considering an MBA, the Essentials of Management Program serves as a preview to our highly-regarded MBA program for working professionals.
Learn from top notch Milgard School of Business professors who bring a balanced mix of theory and practice to the classroom. The Milgard School faculty includes internationally recognized experts who train and consult for corporations and other organizations both in the US and abroad.
Program topics in 2017 included:
Leadership and Communication
- Leading contemporary organizations
- Empowering an organization
- Effective communication skills
- Terminology and concepts
- Understanding Financial Statements
- Financial Statement Analysis
Cost Analysis and Budgeting
- Cost terminology and concepts
- Using cost information in planning and decision-making
- Budgeting tools and techniques
- Value proposition and marketing strategy
- Sales and new business development
- Customer acquisition and retention
- Overview of financial markets
- Tools to analyze investment opportunities
- Asset pricing and portfolio management
- Role of strategy in ensuring success in a changing environment
- Fundamental techniques supporting development and implementation of strategy
- Business strategies and sources of competitive advantage
- Conflict management
- Win-win negotiations
- Fiscal and monetary policy
- Impact of tax rates, interest rates, and deficits on employment, earnings, and output
Corporate Social Responsibility
- Strategic corporate citizenship
- Risks and rewards of CSR and reputation
- Integration with corporate strategy
- Foundations for evidence-based managerial decision-making
- Designing and planning Business Intelligence processes
- Competing on data, analytics and information; common mistakes and best practices
The EMP runs on Monday nights September - November, 2018. Sessions begin at 5:30pm and end at 8:30pm. Please stay tuned for specific 2018 dates.
The 12-week program, which includes instructional materials, costs $3,750.00 Payment is due at time of registration.
For More Information
If you have any questions about this program, please contact Trish Zander email@example.com or by phone at (253) 692-5630.