The Milgard School of Business provides customized executive education to local and regional companies. In addition to customized programs, the Milgard School has developed the Essentials of Management Program.
Essentials of Management Program: Overview
The Milgard School of Business Essentials of Management Program (EMP) offers an overview of the key concepts, tools, and techniques that are required for sustained success in today's business environment. The program is designed to serve individuals with a non-business or technical background who are looking to build business acumen. Participants will gain insights into business strategy, marketing, accounting and financial analysis, project management, and global business while developing superior leadership skills.
The EMP is designed for experienced managers who are seeking a stronger foundation in current business theory and practice, or managers who have experience in one area and want exposure to other areas to qualify for positions of increased responsibility. The program will also provide a valuable learning experience for technical experts making the transition into management roles. Participants will become more effective by gaining a solid foundation in current business theory and practice. After completing this program, they will be equipped to make better business decisions about issues affecting their companies and their careers. Participants also gain ongoing access to Milgard
faculty, whose expertise in a wide variety of areas will be a valuable potential resource. For those considering getting their MBA, the Essentials of Management Program serves as a preview to the Milgard School's highly regarded MBA program for working professionals.
Faculty and Curriculum
The EMP provides an opportunity to learn from the top notch professors at the Milgard School of Business who bring a balanced mix of theory and practice to the classroom and contribute to the advancement of academic knowledge through high quality research. The Milgard School faculty includes internationally recognized experts who provide training and are consultants for corporations and other organizations in the US and abroad. For those interested in academic graduate credit, a 4 credit course waiver is available towards an MBA degree at UW Tacoma.
The program runs on Monday nights from September 14 - November 30, 2015.
The Essentials of Management Program will cover the following areas:
Leadership and Communication
- Leading contemporary organizations
- Empowering an organization
- Effective communication skills
- Terminology and concepts
- Understanding Financial Statements
- Financial Statement Analysis
Cost Analysis and Budgeting
- Cost terminology and concepts
- Using cost information in planning and decision making
- Budgeting tools and techniques
- Value proposition and marketing strategy
- Sales and new business development
- Customer acquisition and retention
- Overview of financial markets
- Tools to analyze investment opportunities
- Asset pricing and portfolio management
- Role of strategy in ensuring success in a changing environment
- Fundemental techniques supporting development and implementation of strategy
- Business strategies and sources of competitive advantage
- Conflict management
- Win-win negotiations
- Fiscal and monetary policy
- Impact of tax rates, interest rates, and deficits on employment, earnings, and output
Corporate Social Responsibility
- Strategic corporate citizenship
- Risks and rewards of CSR and reputation
- Integration with corporate strategy
- Foundations for evidence-based managerial decision making
- Designing and planning Business Intelligence processes
- Competing on data, analytics and information; common mistakes and best practices
Session topics are subject to change.
The 12-week program, which includes instructional materials, costs $3,750.00 Payment is due at time of registration.
If you have any questions about this program, please contact Efigenia Spacher via e-mail or by phone at (253) 692-4580.