Class Attendance

Main page content

The University of Washington Tacoma reserves the right to drop students who have not attended class during the first week of the quarter allow space for other students waiting to enroll. However, do not assume that you will automatically be dropped from a course if you do not attend.

If you are not going to attend a class, it is your responsibility to drop the course on MyUW or you will be held responsible for the tuition and fees incurred. Students who are registered for a course section but do not attend will be assigned a failing grade by the instructor.

You may not attend a course in which you have not been officially registered after the first two weeks of the quarter. An instructor may allow you to attend his or her class only if your name appears on the official class list from the Office of the Registrar.

Full-Time Requirements

Undergraduate students should register for 12 or more credits to be considered a full-time.  Graduate students should register for 10 or more credits to be considered a full-time student. It is important to note that differing criteria and standards for full-time enrollment exist for eligibility in certain programs.  Consult the Financial Aid Office for its requirements on satisfactory student progress. The tuition schedule does not reflect full-time credit requirements for loan deferments, teaching assistantships or other programs.

Quarter-Off Policy

If you are an undergraduate student who has completed the preceding quarter here at the University of Washington Tacoma, you may take a quarter off under the Quarter-Off Eligibility Policy. The Quarter-Off Eligibility Policy is not available to graduate students. Graduate students are governed by the On-leave Policy.

Undergraduate students

Subject to college, school and departmental enrollment policies, undergraduate students who have completed a quarter may take the following quarter off and remain eligible to register in Registration Period I for the subsequent quarter without re-applying. For example, a student completing autumn quarter may, without registering for or completing winter quarter, register during Registration Period I for spring quarter without re-applying.

If a student withdraws from a quarter and does not enroll in the following quarter (not including summer quarter), he or she must file an application for re-admission with the Office of Registrar by the posted admission deadlines.  Additionally, students who do not attend two or more consecutive quarters will need to re-apply for admission by the posted admission deadlines.

Any quarter from which a student has completely withdrawn, or from which she or he is canceled, does not constitute a completed quarter. Summer quarter enrollment is not required to maintain continuous registration eligibility.

Graduate students On-leave

The quarter-off eligibility policy does not apply to graduate students. Graduate students who do not maintain continuous enrollment (summer quarter excepted) must file an online Request for On-Leave Status. To be eligible for on-leave status, graduate students must be in good standing, currently registered in a graduate student status or on-leave status and have completed at least one quarter of graduate study at UW Tacoma prior to filing an on-leave petition.

Graduate students requesting on-leave status must submit an online Request for On-Leave Status via MyGrad Program. For a given quarter, students can submit the request as early as two weeks prior to the first day of instruction and no later than the 10th day of the quarter and must submit payment of the non-refundable fee no later than 5:00 pm on the last day of instruction. Leave is granted on a quarterly basis, though the following students may request up to four consecutive quarters of leave at one time: PCMI students, military personnel with deployment orders, and some UW Fulbright grantees (with the exception of military personnel with deployment orders, these students will be required to pay the fee for each quarter of leave requested).

There is a $35 non-refundable fee that must be paid with the Request for On-Leave Status. Read the online instructions or consult with your graduate program adviser for more information about the on-leave process.