Welcome to the University of Washington Tacoma School of Education. Our faculty and staff make every effort to assist you in reaching success. Faculty have an impressive record of research in the areas of school-wide positive behavior supports, response to intervention, culturally-responsive educational practices and effective leadership models.
UW Tacoma is the perfect choice for those seeking K-8 Certification with an option for ELL, Special Education, Secondary Science or Math Certification, or for educators seeking to expand their educational background.
If you want to become a teacher, if you are already a teacher, or you are a current or aspiring leader, come join us and let us help you meet your goals!
The mission of the University of Washington Tacoma School of Education is to prepare ethical and reflective educators who transform learning, contribute to the community, exemplify professionalism and promote diversity.
Educate, Empower, Excel.
School of Education faculty and staff exhibit integrity by upholding the values of:
- Knowledge - Our discovery, development, and dissemination of scholarship that informs theory and practice
- Service - Our beneficial contribution to the community
- Professional excellence - Our dedication to helping teachers and leaders to help children as we advance the profession of education
- Justice - Our ability to create and advance economic, social and educational opportunities
- Diversity - Our commitment to understand and respectfully engage the complexity, multidimensionality, and strength of race, ethnicity, class, culture, language, gender, sexuality, age, intellectual ability, physical ability, and religion.
The School of Education faculty will:
- Promote and support social justice
- Promote and support diversity
- Engage in outstanding faculty scholarship
- Provide innovative and high quality teaching
- Collaborate with communities and schools and provide service in the field
- Provide educational offerings that meet professional and regional needs for high quality, rigorous, and accessible educational programs
- Support interdisciplinary education
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation from the School of Education, students will be able to:
- Integrate theory, research, ethics, and experience to implement best practices in assessment, instruction and classroom management
- Develop an integrated philosophical framework that clarifies and guides educational practices
- Develop the dispositions, knowledge and skills to collaborate in professional learning communities
- Demonstrate strategic decision making for the betterment of the students, classrooms, families, schools and communities
- Develop a reflective practice that addresses the complexity and strength of race/ethnicity, class, culture, language, genders, sexualities, age, mental/physical ability and religion