Required background checks
- When you apply
- If you are admitted to the Nursing Program
- Completing the background check
- Note to international applicants
- Some things to remember
- Technical support
When you apply Nursing Program
The UW Background Check, Authorization for Repeat Checks, and Dissemination of Results form is included in the undergraduate and graduate program applications. Print, sign, date, submit a completed UW School of Nursing Background Check, Authorization for Repeat Checks, and Dissemination of Results form with your application.
DO NOT PAY THE $65 FEE TO RUN THE BACKGROUND CHECK AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION. If admitted to the program, you will receive a time window during which you will pay to have your background check run.
Applicants with a positive criminal history are encouraged to submit a written statement with their application materials explaining the circumstances. Applicants who do not fill out the Background Check, Authorization for Repeat Checks, and Dissemination of Results form truthfully will not be considered for admission. For examples of offenses that would result in individuals being ineligible for the program, see the Department of Social and Health Services Secretary's List of Crimes and Negative Actions. Contact the Nursing Program Director for additional information.
Newly admitted and continuing students
If and when you are offered admission to the Nursing Program, you will be instructed at that time to use an online service, Verified Credentials, Inc. (VCI), to obtain the required background check. All students pay a fee for this service; the current fee is approximately $65.
- Continuing BSN and MN students must maintain a background check with acceptable results completed within the past 24 months throughout their enrollment in the Nursing Program. Continuing Nursing students will be asked to renew their background checks biennially until they graduate.
Please do not run this check prior to your admittance. If a check is run too early you will be asked to run the check again.
VCI will provide the Nursing Program with required background check information for all states, so there is no need for those who have resided outside the state of Washington during the last three (3) years to provide this information separately.
No international background checks are required for international admits or domestic admits who have resided outside the U.S. during the past three (3) years. However, these admits will still need to complete the Verified Credentials background check.
Completing the background check
If you receive a Nursing program admission offer, your admission packet will include instructions for completing the VCI background check. Do NOT run the check before you have been officially notified that you have been admitted to the undergraduate or graduate degree program.
Note to international applicants
International applicants must submit their background check through Verified Credentials, Inc. After selecting your nursing program on the Verified Credentials website, look for a box marked "non-U.S. Candidate." Check that box and you will be able to enter an ID number from your country (instead of the Social Security Number) and proceed with the steps for initiating the background check. If you have any questions, please contact the Nursing Program at firstname.lastname@example.org or (253) 692-4470.
Some things to remember
- The UW Tacoma Nursing Program will have online access to your completed VCI background check report. Should your background check raise areas of concern related to your participation in the program, you will be contacted by a representative of the Nursing Program.
- The background check with acceptable results is REQUIRED as part of your admittance to the program. You should submit the necessary information to VCI in a timely manner so that your check can be reviewed. Without it, your offer of admittance will be rescinded. Background checks that provide evidence of a positive criminal history will be considered on a case by case basis.
- We understand that the cost of running a background check can be burdensome, but the fee cannot be waived.
For assistance with technical issues with the VCI website (logging in, payment issues, etc.), please contact Verified Credentials Customer Services at 1 (800) 938-6090 or email@example.com.