Fieldwork placements are arranged throughout the region. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from fieldwork sites. Hours for fieldwork are to be arranged, Monday - Friday during daytime hours.
Students are expected to adhere to the dress requirement of the agency where they are assigned for fieldwork experiences.
A UW Tacoma student name badge must be worn at all times when participating in course-related activities, but it should be worn only when you are functioning under the auspices of UW Tacoma. You will required to purchase the name badge for a nominal fee that will be charged to your student account. Information regarding name badges will be distributed to all students when providing verifications.
Verifications (current unrestricted Washington State healthcare provider license, if any; current American Heart Association BLS card); and completed forms (immunizations, conviction/criminal history, HIPAA and bloodborne pathogen training verification, and additional agency-specific requirements) must be on file and approved before students or faculty may engage in fieldwork. Prior to fieldwork, students receive relevant forms and instructions about completing the verification process, which includes:
- CPNW Clinical Passport - complete and return designated sections of the Clinical Placements Northwest clinical passport. The passport will be distributed to all students prior to registration for fieldwork courses. Copies of medical records for specific immunizations and annual tests detailed in the clinical passport. If records are not available, titers or re-immunizations must be administered. See the UW Seattle Campus Health Services webpage for details about required immunizations. Contact the UW Tacoma Healthcare Leadership program office with any questions.
- Bloodborne Infections and Universal Precautions training - bloodborne infection and universal precautions training is conducted online (provided with other clearance information).
- Immunization Health History form - complete and return to the Healthcare Leadership office.
- Current Photo Identification - present a current Washington State driver's license or a Washington State ID card to the Healthcare Leadership program office.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) - present an American Heart Association BLS card with expiration date visible to the Nursing program office; this certification must be current at the time of fieldwork.
- HIPAA - all students must complete UW HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) training. The training is conducted individually via a secure website. Information regarding website and individual login will be distributed with clearance forms. It is important to note that you may be required to take additional HIPAA modules at certain clinical sites.
- Current Washington State healthcare providers must provide proof of unrestricted license status (does not apply to non-licensed applicants); licensure will be verified through the Washington State Department of Health by the Healthcare Leadership program staff; license must be unencumbered and current while enrolled in the Healthcare Leadership program.
- CastleBranch Criminal Background Check - students are required to submit a criminal background check via CastleBranch as a condition for admission to the Healthcare Leadership program. Acceptable results are required; background checks expire after two years. Continuing students will be asked to renew their background checks biennially until they graduate.
- UW School of Nursing Background Check, Authorization for Repeat Checks, and Dissemination of Results form - students are required to complete forms required for implementation of the Washington State Child Abuse and Adult Abuse Information Law (CAAL) and related Department of Health regulations. This includes completion of and a criminal background check, which the UW Tacoma Healthcare Leadership program will treat confidentially and process through the Washington State Patrol.
- Drug Screening - based on information from major healthcare organizations in our region, we anticipate students will be required to have a negative drug screen test as part of clinical clearances.
- Student ID "Husky Card" - all students are required to carry their UW student photo ID. ID cards are available to students from the Office of the Registrar.
- Students must possess copies of their immunizations while in fieldwork. More information will be provided.
In addition to the items listed above, Healthcare Leadership students are STRONGLY ADVISED to have personal health insurance or join a healthcare plan to cover the expenses of their healthcare and treatments in case of a catastrophic illness or injury and/or the development of a serious chronic condition.