Fieldwork / T NURS 503
Responsibilities of faculty, students, and staff in the fieldwork planning process:
|Quarter before student begins fieldwork
- Fieldwork coordinator sends email to MN eligible students about planning fieldwork.
- Students complete Student Survey for Advanced Fieldwork, Catalyst survey, indicating interests, site, and fieldwork facilitator of choice.
- Student are encouraged to discuss fielddwork ideas with committee chair or curriculum option faculty.
- Fieldwork coordinator confirms with student's chair or curriculum option faculty about the appropriateness of the proposed placement.
- Fieldwork coordinator contacts sites (e-mail and phone; sometimes a personal visit may be conducted) and confirms with fieldwork facilitator; confirms active affiliation agreement in place.
- Clinical clearances are completed PRIOR to student receiving entry code for course; UW Tacoma Nursing Program staff manages this.
- Fieldwork Objectives are completed by the student using the format provided. Objective must be approved by student's committee chair or curriculum option faculty PIROR to student receiving entry code for course. Feildwork Coordinator manages entry code disbursement.
|Five weeks before fieldwork
- Fieldwork coordinator sends email to the site confirming and introducing course faculty to facilitator.
- Student sets up a time to meet with committee chair or curriculum option faculty to discuss learning objectives and potential activities.
- Fieldwork coordinator compiles packet of information on each student, including:
- Student’s interest form
- Introductory email sent to site/facilitator
- List of fieldwork facilitator's contact information
- Student's fieldwork files are located in the Nursing program office.
|Week before through the first week of the quarter
||Course faculty contacts fieldwork facilitator by phone or e-mail to check-in and reconfirm placement.
|Week 5 of the quarter
||Course faculty checks in with fieldwork facilitator. Site visits are always welcomed but may be difficult to arrange. Facilitators complete mid-quarter Catalyst survey of student's progress. Fieldwork coordinator sends the survey link to all facilitators via email.
|Week 9-10 of quarter
- Fieldwork coordinator sends students link to complete site evaluations in Catalyst.
(12/7/04, rev 6/7/05, 3/14/06, 8/22/06, 1/29/07, 1/13/15)