MN: advising overview
The UW Tacoma Nursing faculty and staff recognize that beginning graduate education can be a significant life change. In order to ease the transition into the Master of Nursing Program, UW Tacoma provides a wide range of services including, an MN Program orientation, writing workshops, computer workshops, library orientations, and personal counseling services. In addition, advisors assist students throughout the MN Program. These advising roles are described below.
Types of MN Advising
- Graduate Program Coordinator
- Advises, counsels and assists graduate students, or arranges and verifies that this service is provided by another member of the graduate faculty or advising staff
- Ensures that special attention is given to newly admitted students and others with particular needs
- Graduate Program Advisor
- The MN Advisor works closely with all MN students to facilitate their adaptation to and progress in the MN Program, and with the assistance of the Graduate Program Coordinator:
- Develops an initial program plan (course work) for the student
- Makes changes to the program plan with approval of the Graduate Program Coordinator, faculty advisor for the curriculum option, or chair/faculty advisor, if the student has a Supervisory Committee
- Curriculum Option Advisors
Advise, approve changes in program plan and courses to be taken outside of Nursing/Health, and fieldwork placement until the graduate student has a chair:
- Advises, counsels graduate student about remaining program of study; approves fieldwork objectives, supervises project, thesis, or course work option for scholarly inquiry requirement
Thinking of a DNP at UW Seattle?
- See an overview of how the UW Tacoma MN could articulate with the APCHSN DNP; if you are interested in one of the other study options, this information is still useful. Do note the list of UW Tacoma courses on page 15 of the document.
- Additional information about the DNP is available at the UW Seattle School of Nursing. See the MN/DNP Information Session for audio presentations, videos, and slideshows about the program.