MN: how to apply
Applying for admission to the Master of Nursing program is a two-part process requiring application to the University of
|Quarter||Online Application||Supplemental Materials|
|Autumn||Jul 15||Aug 1|
|Winter||Nov 15||Dec 1|
|Spring||Feb 15||Mar 1|
Washington Graduate School and submission of required supplemental materials to the Master of Nursing program.
Remember, several items are required to complete your application, and items such as transcripts and letters of reference often take several weeks to arrive. NOTE: Your application will not be reviewed for admission until all materials have been received.
Step One: Apply Online to the UW Graduate School
Complete the online UW Graduate School application. Print a copy of the online application for your signature and submit to the UW Tacoma MN program as described in Step Two below.
Step Two: Nursing Program Supplemental Materials
Some of the following items may have been submitted during the online UW Graduate School application process (résumé, letters of recommendation, statement of goals). If you completed those items online, you need not submit them for a second time to UW Tacoma Nursing.
The following supplemental materials go directly to UW Tacoma Nursing:
- A printed and signed copy of online UW Graduate School application
- One official transcript from every college attended
- Three references: one academic, one professional from a clinical nursing supervisor who can attest to your competence as a registered nurse, and one other from any source (only if they were not submitted online)
- A current résumé (only if you did not submit one online with your application)
- Complete the criminal background check (note there is a fee); VCI provides the Nursing program with a copy of your clearance goals
- Statement of goals (only if you did not submit one online with your application)
- Your essay is meant to convey information about why you are pursuing a graduate nursing degree, why you are choosing your desired area of study, and how your graduate experience is necessary for reaching your professional goals.
- Review the UW Tacoma Master of Nursing "Philosophy of Graduate Education" and "Conceptual Framework for Graduate Education." Use this information to brainstorm ideas and identify the fit between yourself and the program philosophy.
- Identify the MN study option you are intending to pursue.
- Discuss your unique attributes and background and how these contribute to your understanding and goals in nursing.
- Avoid outlines and lists. You will be evaluated in part on your ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- The maximum length of the essay should not exceed three pages, typewritten and double spaced, using a 12-point font.