Petitions and transfer credits
Types of Petitions
There are three types of petitions used in the Master of Nursing (MN) Program. All petitions are processed through the UW Tacoma Nursing Program Office. In all of the situations below, a MN applicant or student must file a petition. The three types of petitions address these requirements:
- Admission requirement—Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) required
- Petitions are reviewed at the time of admission (see Graduate Program Advisor for procedures).
- UW Tacoma Nursing Program requirements
- UW Tacoma BSN graduates who took courses during their BSN program and want to apply these credits to their MN degree.
- MN students requesting waiver of a Nursing Program requirement.
- Graduate School requirements dictate that petitions are required in the following circumstances:
- Student requesting transfer of up to six credits from other universities must complete a petition. (See Graduate School Policy for Transfer Credit.) UW Tacoma Nursing will evaluate courses from recognized institutions. A recognized institution refers to an accredited institution of graduate learning; and/or, for nursing courses, an institution accredited by NLN or CCNE.
Procedure for UW Tacoma Nursing Program and Graduate School Petitions
- Once a MN applicant is admitted, the student meets with the Graduate Program Advisor regarding transferring course work or waiving requirements.
- The Graduate Program Advisor reviews the student’s program plan and transcripts, provides advice and instructions to the student about the petition policy and process.
- The student completes the written petition form (Word document). A clear statement of the reason for the petition is needed. If a student offers as evidence a comparable course, evidence of successful completion of the course, such as an official transcript and course description, must be provided.
- The student submits the petition and documentation to the Graduate Advisor who makes a recommendation and forwards the recommendation to the Graduate Program Coordinator for action.
- The Graduate Program Coordinator reviews the petition and recommends approving or not approving the petition.
- In the case of UW Tacoma Nursing Petitions, the Graduate Program Advisor sends a copy to the student and retains a copy in the student file. If the Petition is a Graduate School Petition, the Graduate Advisor submits the petition online to the Graduate School.