BSN Practicum: T NURS 414 / Health, Communities, and Populations
Practicum placements are arranged throughout the region. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from practicum sites.
Students are expected to adhere to the dress requirement of the agency where they are assigned for practicum experiences.
A UW Tacoma student name badge must be worn at all times when participating in course-related activities, but it should be worn only when you are functioning under the auspices of UW Tacoma. You will required to purchase the name pin for a nominal fee through the Nursing program office. Information regarding purchase of the name badge will be distributed to all students prior to registration for practicum.
Verifications [current unrestricted Washington State RN License, current CPR card, Regents exams passed (if applicable)] and completed forms (Acknowledgment Statement, Immunization Health History, Conviction/Criminal History) must be on file and approved before students or faculty may engage in practicum. Verification process:
- Immunization Health History form - complete and return; immunizations must be current. UW requires proof of select immunizations in addition to the information reported on this form, either copies of medical records, or if not available, titers or re-immunizations. More detailed information on these requirements will be distributed to all students prior to registration for practicum courses and are available at the UW School of Nursing Web page under the sub-heading "REQUIRED IMMUNIZATIONS."
- Needle Stick Policy and Training in Blood Borne Pathogens Acknowledgment Statement Form - complete and return to the Nursing program Office.
- Current Photo Identification - present a current Washington State driver's license or a Washington State ID card to the Nursing program office.
- CPR - present a CPR card with expiration date visible to the Nursing program office; this certification must be current at the time of practicum/ T NURS 414 (fieldwork).
- HIPAA - all students must complete UW HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) training. The training is conducted individually via a secure website and lasts approximately 90 minutes. Information regarding website and individual login information will be distributed with clearance forms. It is important to note that you may be required to take additional HIPAA modules at certain clinical sites.
- Current RN License - licensure will be verified through the Washington State Department of Health by the Nursing program staff; RN license must be unencumbered and current while enrolled in the Nursing program.
- Verified Credentials, Inc. Clearance (VCI) - students are required to submit a criminal background check via VCI as a condition for admission to the BSN program. Background checks expire after two years.
- Conviction/Criminal History Form - students are required to complete forms required for implementation of the Washington State Child Abuse and Adult Abuse Information Law (CAAL) and related Department of Health regulations. This includes completion of and a criminal background check, which the UW Tacoma Nursing program will treat confidentially and process through the Washington State Patrol.
- Student ID "Husky Card" - all students are required to carry their UW student photo ID. ID cards are available to students from the Office of the Registrar.
In addition to the items listed above, Nursing students are STRONGLY ADVISED to have personal health insurance or join a health care plan to cover the expenses of their health care and treatments in case of a catastrophic illness or injury and/or the development of a serious chronic condition within or outside the occupational setting.
Students who do not have personal health insurance or a health care plan might be eligible to purchase Student Health Insurance. Although personal health insurance is recommended, it is not required by the Nursing program.