CWTAP Frequently Asked Questions

Main page content

What is CWTAP?

CWTAP is a collaborative effort between the School of Social Work and Washington State’s public child welfare agency, Children’s Administration (CA) to promote quality social service practitioners in public child welfare by providing specialized educational seminars, hands on experience and tuition assistance to accepted MSW students.

Where can I learn about public child welfare before applying for CWTAP?

Is CWTAP participation more work than the MSW program?

No. CWTAP is complimentary to the MSW program. CWTAP is a specialized child welfare concentration where students complete their mandatory practicums at Children’s Administration.

How does CWTAP prepare me to work in public child welfare?

CWTAP offers a comprehensive educational experience in Washington State’s public child welfare. The student completes both their foundation and advanced practicums at a Children’s Administration office. Students will be immersed in services provided by CA that are designed to reduce the risk of abuse, find alternatives to out-of-home placements, assure safety and permanency for children in care, and support transition into adulthood. 

When can I apply for the CWTAP program?

After you have been offered admission into the UWT MSW program you should receive an email from CWTAP with an invitation to attend an informational meeting. CWTAP generally accepts applications:

  • 3 year part-time program: June
  • Advanced Standing: August/September

What are the steps to getting into the CWTAP program?

First step would be admission into the MSW program here at UWT. The admission process for CWTAP is:

  • Attend the mandatory informational meeting
  • Submit CWTAP application packet
  • Participate in the CWTAP interview process
  • Receive notification of admittance decision into CWTAP
  • Attend meeting to sign Participant Agreement (PA)

How do I apply for the CWTAP program?

What financial assistance does CWTAP cover?

Currently, CWTAP covers 100% of tuition for MSW required courses, practicum fees and the University YMCA Student Center fee. Students are responsible for books, student health fees and any additional fees. Tuition assistance may vary based on availability of funding.

What is my commitment once I complete CWTAP?

Upon MSW graduation, CWTAP participants must gain employment with CA within four months and work for CA for the same period of time that the participant received financial assistance.

Can I fulfill my post-MSW graduation employment obligation elsewhere?

A CWTAP graduate may be able to fulfill their employment obligation with a Washington State federally recognized tribe if approved by the DSHS/CA Assistant Secretary prior to accepting any position.

How long do I have to find a job in public child welfare after I graduate from the MSW program?

4 months after graduation.

What are Field Instructors?

Field instructors are UWT Social Work Program faculty who assess the progress of CWTAP students through educational seminars, observation of the student in the field and clinical supervision.  Field instructors have extensive experience with public child welfare practice, laws and regulations and adhere to the values and ethics of the NASW and social work profession. Field instructors act as teachers, leaders and mentors for CWTAP students linking theory to child welfare practice. 

What if I have more questions that aren’t answered here?