You should have all required forms and transcripts submitted on or before the application deadline to be considered "on time." Applications received after the application deadline will be reviewed on a space-available basis and may be placed on a wait list.
Priority application deadlines
Winter: October 15
Spring: January 15
Autumn: March 15
The personal goal statement is an important element in the review of your qualifications. Please use this writing sample to point out relevant aspects of your life that may not be evident from your academic record.
Please address the following in your personal statement (2 pages maximum, typed, double-spaced):
- Describe your interest in criminal justice and your reasons for pursuing a criminal justice major, and
- Describe your desired educational outcomes
How to apply
Depending on your status, the application form and process may vary:
Current UW Tacoma students
After reviewing the admission requirements, current UW Tacoma students should submit the following materials for consideration:
- The Request to Declare/Change Major form
- Your Personal Goal Statement
- An unofficial copy of your UW transcript (printable via MyUW)
Running Start students
Applying to the Criminal Justice major is a two-part process requiring application to UW Tacoma and submission of required Criminal Justice application materials.
- Complete the Application for Freshman Admission (includes your personal goal statement).
- Submit official transcripts for every college or university attended.
- Running Start students must complete a Request to Declare/Change Major form to the program for consideration. Mail or bring in your Declare/Change Major form to the address listed above for current students' application materials.
Returning UW Tacoma students
If you were previously enrolled at UW Tacoma, submit a Returning Student Application in lieu of the Application for Transfer Admission.
- Complete the Returning Former Student application.
- Returning students may also need to submit a personal goal statement to the Criminal Justice program. Check with the program advisor for details.
- Complete the Application for Transfer Admission - International form. You must also comply with the international student undergraduate admission requirements.
- Write and submit your personal goal statement.