Resources for MSW students
Student organizations utilize students' energies, aptitudes and knowledge to enhance opportunities for student learning and service. If you want to get involved or learn more, visit the Student Involvement website to review a list of registered student organizations such as Student Social Work Organization (SSWO) or Voices for Planned Parenthood (VOX) to name just a few.
Phi Alpha (ΦΑ) Honor Society
The Social Work Program at the University of Washington Tacoma established the Xi Pi Chapter of Phi Alpha, a national honor society for social work students, in 2006. Dr. Janice Laakso is the faculty adviser.
Announcing the Montgomery Scholarship for Social Work Students
The Montgomery Scholarship wishes to encourage BASW and MSW student leadership and excellence and aid students struggling with the financial undertaking of higher education. Preference will be given to scholarship applicants who are members of Phi Alpha and have the highest financial need. For more information, please see the Montgomery Scholarship webpage.
Sign up for the Social Work email list
UWTMSW is an electronic mailing list for MSW students. This email list will provide you with reminders of upcoming deadlines, registration information, job and internship opportunities, special events, graduation information and more.
The Social Work graduate program adviser is responsible for helping students with the technical pieces of graduate student life — deadlines, forms and formal procedures. Registration, course scheduling, graduation requirements and grade issues are all areas where the graduate adviser can assist you. The graduate program adviser also functions as a liaison to the Graduate School.
You are also randomly assigned an official faculty adviser with whom you should meet on a periodic basis. As you get to know faculty members better, you may request a change of adviser through the director. In addition to your faculty adviser, you can turn to any faculty member regarding specific issues. Such informal advising is common and highly encouraged. Faculty are best used when you need counseling on educational and professional career choices or in circumstances where you experience personal difficulties that affect your progress in the program.
Registration and courses
Information technology assistance
- 2012-2013 MSW Program Manual
- 2011-2012 MSW Program Manual
- 2010-2011 MSW Program Manual
- 2009-2010 MSW Program Manual
- 2008-2009 MSW Program Manual
- Academic calendar
- Academic honesty
- Conflict Resolution and Behavioral Review Committee
- Conflict Resolution and Behaviroal Review Committee referral form
- Grading policies for MSW students
- Inclement weather policy
- Essential Skills, Values and Standards of Professional Conduct Important to Admission and Continuance in the UW Tacoma MSW Program and Profession of Social Work
- Student Conduct Code
- Indian Health Service (IHS) Student Loan Repayment Program
- Major principles of the National Association of Social Worker's Code of Ethics
- CSWE BASW educational policy standards
- Social Work licensure information
- UW School of Social Work career resources
- UW School of Social Work Continuing Education
- School Social Worker (K-12) Certification Program