BASW Admission Requirements
The Social Welfare program is dedicated to preparing competent, ethical, and culturally sensitive social workers with specialized knowledge and skills who are committed to evidence-based practice and to planned social change.
A deep commitment to equity and cultural diversity is brought to the development of the Social Welfare program. The program's mission gives special attention to the poor and underserved populations, and fosters an appreciation for differences based on gender, ethnicity, race, religious creed, sexual orientation, class and physical and developmental disabilities.
The BASW program is designed for students in the South Puget Sound region who are committed to providing more effective social services to populations experiencing social and economic difficulties.
Prospective BASW students must complete all admission requirements for UW Tacoma and the Social Welfare program prior to application (or have a plan in place to complete required courses prior to beginning classes). Please refer to the prerequisite grid to find college-level courses that have been approved to meet the admission and prerequisite requirements for the Social Welfare program.
Please note, the UW Tacoma Social Welfare program admits a cohort of students in autumn quarter ONLY.
Transfer applicants are encouraged to meet with an admissions advisor prior to applying! To schedule an appointment, please call the Office of Admissions at 253-692-4742.
Priority Application Deadline
► Autumn 2017: March 15, 2017
We are currently continuing to accept new applications on a space-available basis. Please apply as soon as possible to help ensure admission consideration for Autumn 2017.
To be considered for admission applicants must:
- Be a current UW Tacoma student or be in the process of admission to the UW Tacoma campus (including completion of intermediate algebra requirement). Transfer students must first complete the Application for Transfer Admission.
- Have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Transfer applicants must have a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in all transfer coursework.
- Current UW students who seek to either declare or change their major to Social Welfare must have a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in all UW coursework and be in good standing with the university.
- Have completed at least 75 UW or transferable college-level credits by the time of enrollment in the program
- Have completed the following prerequisite courses with at least a 2.0 grade in each course:
- 5 credits of English composition
- Introductory course in psychology
- Introductory or survey course in sociology
- Intro, survey, macro or micro course in economics
- An approved course in human biology within the most recent 10 years
Admission is competitive. Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Completion of all prerequisite requirements
- Previous academic history
- Admissions essay describing your interest in social welfare
- Experiences related to social services (paid or volunteer)