Writing Center Consultation Policies
Each student can work with a writing consultant for up to 50 minutes each day. Students can drop in, or make an appointment for a consultation in person or via asynchronous eTutoring. A group of students working together on a shared writing project is limited to one 50-minute consultation per day.
Making an appointment
- Make your appointment at least one hour prior to the appointment time, or visit the TLC during the day without an appointment for a drop-in consultation. Drop-in sessions are on a first-come, first-served basis. During peak times, you may have to wait for a consultant to become available.
- Fill out all of the required information--instructor, course number, and what you would like to work on.
On occasions when students cannot keep an appointment for any reason (e.g. illness, change in plans), we request that students cancel that appointment to make that time available to another student.
- Appointments must be cancelled 3 or more hours in advance or be considered a missed appointment (see below).
- Please call 253-692-4417 or use the online system if you need to cancel an appointment.
Late or missed appointments
A “missed appointment” is defined as 1) not showing up 10 minutes into the appointment, 2) not canceling at least 3 hours prior to appointment, or 3) not uploading a paper for an e-Tutoring appointment.
- After 1 missed appointment, a student will receive an automatically generated e-mail indicating that the appointment is considered “missed.”
- After 3 missed appointments, the appointment-making capabilities of your account are suspended for one week, though you can still view the schedule and are encouraged to use drop-in times.
- After the one-week suspension period, appointment-making capabilities will be reinstated.
- Any additional missed appointment results in another one-week suspension of appointment capbilities.
- At the beginning of a new academic quarter, all students begin with zero missed appointments.