The TLC supports the development of all UW Tacoma students into self-directed, lifelong learners on their pathways to academic success and beyond.
The TLC is committed to diversity as a core value and actively works to increase diversity awareness and inclusion in our teaching and learning activities and in our workplace.
Statement of Inclusive Excellence
The TLC staff and peer consultants commit to listen and look carefully and compassionately for ways to actively engage in inclusive practices. For instance, we promise to
- advocate for making our center safe, welcoming, productive, and proactive;
- be sensitive to language practices (what we say and allow to be said) and other microaggressions that may make some people feel uncomfortable or feel in some way inferior;
- affirm students’ right to their own languages as they engage with academic discourses and expectations;
- openly discuss social justice issues as they pertain to the work at hand;
- be reflective and critical of the practices we engage in;
- conduct on-going assessments of the TLC’s work, looking specifically for patterns of inequalities and injustice that may be occurring in the center.
- Students are the reason we exist
- All conferences are voluntary
- Clients direct the conference with their questions/concerns
- All conferences build on the client’s existing strengths and rely on the use of active learning principles
- Conferences help clients become independent learners by explaining the hows and whys of an assignment
- Consultants do not to write or provide solutions for client’s assignments, as doing so is considered academic dishonesty and fails to provide authentic learning experiences