EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 24, 2016 UW-IT HAS ENDED OUR CONTRACT WITH TURNITIN. OUR NEW PLAGIARISM DETECTION SOFTWARE IS CALLED VERICITE.
MORE INFORMATION ON VERICITE CAN BE FOUND HERE: Vericite Plagiarism Detection
UW Tacoma has Turnitin’s Originality Check® to help instructors and students check their work for improper citation or potential plagiarism by comparing it against their text comparison database. When a file is submitted, Turnitin shows how much of the student’s paper matches content from their databases so instructors and students can quickly understand how much of the paper is unoriginal or improperly cited.
The instructor and student will be able to see the results in the Originality Report, within the Canvas Gradebook, including what percent of the student’s document matches other documents, and what those other documents are.
Canvas Course Setup
Turnitin® is integrated into the Assignments tool in Canvas. Instructors can make the report available to students immediately, after the assignment is graded, or after the due date. Instructors can check the “Enable Turnitin Submissions Evaluations” box when creating or editing Assignments in Canvas. When Turnitin is enabled, online file upload and text entry submissions by students for that Assignment will automatically be submitted to Turnitin.com for an Originality Check.
Once turned into the faculty, this paper now constitutes an education record and is covered by FERPA. Although helpful, Turnitin is only one tool and faculty are encouraged to consider all resources for further guidance.
Student papers are protected by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act also referred known as FERPA. To comply with FERPA, instructors who use Turnitin are required to:
1. Inform students of policies with respect to academic integrity, in general, and Turnitin processes, in particular. For UW Tacoma's information on academic honesty see: http://www.tacoma.uw.edu/enrollment-services/academic-honesty.
2. Provide notice to student in advance that the use of Turnitin and the submission of an originality report is required for an assignment. SUGGESTED SYLLABUS LANGUAGE
3. Student work submitted directly to Turnitin must have all personally identifiable student information redacted in order to protect the student's privacy.
For more information about using Turnitin in Canvas, refer to these links:
- How do I enable Turnitin for an Assignment?
- Accepted File Formats
- How does Turnitin work in the SpeedGrader?
- How do I see Turnitin Feedback in the Gradebook?
- How do I view the Originality Report for a student submission?
Unique Situations that Require Turnitin Outside Canvas