What is the Summer Bridge program?
The Summer Bridge program provides incoming freshmen with tools for success as they navigate a new academic environment and face the personal and academic challenges of being a first-year student. Students will develop these tools for success by attending and successfully completing their first university course and taking advantage of the orientations and the personal, academic and financial aid support and counseling available through Summer Bridge.
Students accepted into the program participate in an intensive session that allows them to earn university credit, by enrolling in and successfully completing one course offered at UW Tacoma beginning in late August and ending in mid September.
Most major universities offer a summer bridge or early start program to a select group of incoming freshmen to introduce them to the rigors of college life and help them lay the groundwork for successful completion of their college education. Studies show that students who participate in bridge programs are more likely to succeed in college compared to students who do not participate in bridge.
What are the benefits?
To ensure their success, Summer Bridge students will receive academic and social support to make the transition from high school to college as smooth as possible.
Students who successfully complete Summer Bridge will:
- Earn five (5) college credits for a course taught by a University of Washington Tacoma professor
- Get targeted academic and financial aid advising
- Receive course-related books and materials at no additional cost
- Begin to develop skills needed to perform well in university courses by participating in academic enhancement workshops
- Begin to develop a sense of community by participating in inter-group dialogue sessions with each other and sophomores who successfully completed their first year at UW Tacoma
- Receive peer mentoring from sophomores who successfully completed their first year at UW Tacoma
- Be provided with opportunities to engage in community service, and receive career development information
If you have questions or are interested in learning more about the Summer Bridge to Success program, please call Dr. Deirdre Raynor at 253-692-4456.