Applicants are strongly encouraged to meet with the Urban Studies advisor prior to applying to discuss degree requirements and time to completion.
If you are a current UW Tacoma student:
- Declare Urban Design as your major by completing the Declare/Change Major form.
- Submit a Personal Goal Statement: Write a 1-2 page page personal goal statement to address your motivation for pursuing an Urban Design degree from Urban Studies (see below for details). The statement must include your name, address, telephone number and email address. It should also indicate the desired quarter of admission. The personal statement is an important part of the application and will be used to assess your qualifications and fit within the major.
- Submit the Form and Personal Goal Statement to the Urban Studies program office (Pinkerton 300 or Campus Box 358437).
If you are not a current UW Tacoma student (e.g. freshman or transfer):
Complete the appropriate application (freshman, transfer, returning, or international). When prompted to identify your intended major, find Urban Design listed under the Urban Studies heading, or search for Urban Design.
Write a personal goal statement (you will submit it as part of your online application above). You will follow the prompt listed below on this page.
The personal statement is an important part of the application and will be used to assess your qualifications and fit within the major.
Submit your official transcripts.
All applicants are required to submit a 1-2 page personal statement addressing your motivation for pursuing a degree in Urban Design; how the degree can blend your educational and career goals; your involvement in neighborhood or community-based activities and personal and professional accomplishments. It should describe your personal strengths and experiences that support your interest in and commitment to the degree. This is also where you should address any weaknesses on transcripts or explain adversity experienced that affected previous academic performance.
The personal statement is a very important part of your application and will be used to assess your qualifications and fit within the program.
The Urban Studies program admits students into the Urban Design degree for autumn quarter, due to the highly sequenced nature of the courses. However, in special circumstances there is an option to be admitted during winter or spring quarter. Contact the Urban Studies advisor for more information. Complete applications received by the priority application date will be assured of a review; complete applications received after the priority application date will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
University application deadlines: These deadlines apply only to new and returning UW Tacoma applicants, not current students.
WINTER 2018 - OCTOBER 15, 2017
SPRING 2018 - FEBRUARY 15, 2018
AUTUMN 2018 - MARCH 15, 2018
If you have completed the prerequisites listed below with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, and have earned at least 40 credits, you can be considered for admission to the Bachelor of Science in Urban Design.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in all college course work. Applicants with a completed application and a minimum GPA of 2.50 will be given priority consideration for admission.
- Three years of high school math through intermediate (second year) algebra or a course in intermediate algebra at the college level
- 5 credits of English composition
Do you have questions about the major or the application process? Do you want to check the status of an application you've already submitted to UW Tacoma? For answers to these questions and for more information about the program, contact the Urban Studies advisor or make an appointment at www.meetme.so/urban: