How to apply to Urban Studies
The Urban Studies program admits majors for every quarter except summer. Complete applications received by the priority application date will be assured of a review; complete applications received after the priority application date will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
Priority application dates
|Winter Quarter 2013||October 15, 2012|
|Spring Quarter 2013||February 15, 2013|
|Autumn Quarter 2013||March 15, 2012|
If you are a current UW Tacoma student...
- Declare Urban Studies as your major by completing the Declare/Change Major form.
- Write a personal statement and submit to the Urban Studies program office (Pinkerton 210 or Campus Box 358437).
If you are not a current UW Tacoma student...
- If you are transferring from a community college or another school, complete the Application for Transfer Admission and select Urban Studies in section 2 under "Program Selector".
- If you were previously enrolled at UW Tacoma, submit the Returning Student Application in lieu of the Application for Transfer Admission.
- If you are an international student, complete the Application for International Transfer Admission. Review the additional requirements for international students.
- Write a personal statement (you will submit it as part of your online application above).
- Submit your official transcripts.
All applicants are required to submit a personal statement addressing your motivation for pursuing an Urban Studies degree; how the degree can blend your educational and career goals; your involvement in community-based activities and personal and professional accomplishments. It should describe your personal strengths and experiences that support your interest and commitment for the degree. This is also where you should address any weaknesses on transcripts or explain adversity experienced that affected previous academic performance.
The personal statement is a very important part of your application and will be used to assess your qualifications and fit within the program.