Apply Now

Frequently asked questions

How do I know if I'm a transfer student?
You are considered a transfer student if ALL of the following statements describe you:

  • You wish to enroll at the University of Washington Tacoma to earn your first bachelor's degree.
  • You are no longer in high school (regardless of how old you are or whether you graduated).
  • You will have completed any course work at a regionally accredited college or university.

What is required to transfer to UW Tacoma?
Currently all transfer students to the University of Washington Tacoma must complete the following requirements:

  • Intermediate algebra with a minimum grade of 2.0 (either in high school or college)
  • Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale at the time of application
  • Two years of World Language** Defined as two years of the same World Language through level 102 (or two years in high school).

**It is possible for transfer students with a World Language deficiency to be admitted to the University with the special permission of the University Admissions Committee. According to University policy, these provisionally admitted students are responsible for removing the World Language deficiency as soon as possible after enrolling. A student may not graduate without having satisfied the requirement.

All Undergraduate applicants to the University of Washington Tacoma, for whom English is a non-native language, must provide proof of English language proficiency

This includes international applicants and domestic applicants whose first language is not English or who completed primary and secondary education outside of the U.S. Applicants can fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of four ways listed below (Note: this requirement must be met one quarter prior to matriculation, e.g. autumn admission requires proof of proficiency by summer quarter):

  • 1. Submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores at or above the minimum scores shown below. The TOEFL institution code for University of Washington Tacoma is 9965.
  • TOEFL Internet-based score 83 or higher
  • TOEFL paper based score 558 or higher
  • TOEFL computer-based score 220 or higher
  • IELTS (academic version only) 6.5 or higher
  • 2. Submit official SAT or ACT scores at or above the following minimum scores: SAT: Critical Reading (SAT CR) or Writing (SAT W) minimum score of 500 ACT: Combined English/Writing (ACT E/W) minimum score of 22
  • 3. Transfer students can fulfill the English proficiency requirement based on classes if ALL of the following apply: Enter as a transfer student at UW Tacoma with at least 30 transferable college-level credits from another accredited U.S. higher education institution; Earned a 2.75 or higher overall grade point average (GPA) in transfer coursework; AND Completed two college-level English composition classes with a grade of 3.0 or higher in each course.
  • 4. Successful completion of University of Washington Intensive English Program: Achieved a minimum grade of 80 percent for each upper-division academic preparation course; AND Obtained recommendation from the senior director of the UW International and English Language Programs.


  • International students whose primary and secondary education took place in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States are exempt from this requirement. Students who were born in one of these countries but were educated elsewhere are still required to satisfy the English proficiency requirement.
  • The university reserves the right to request TOEFL or IELTS scores in cases where the admissions office determines that more information regarding an applicant’s English language proficiency is needed.
  • These are pre-major requirements and academic departments may have additional requirements. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the admissions requirements for their chosen major:


How many credits do I need to be eligible to transfer?
Any amount of transfer credit from a regionally accredited institution qualifies you to apply as a transfer student.

If you have also attended a college, university or post-secondary school outside of the U.S. we will need official transcripts from that school, along with a word-for-word, literal, English translation if the transcript is not in English. If we are unable to accurately evaluate those transcripts we reserve the right to require a course-by-course evaluation from AACRAO or a NACES approved educational credentialing service such as WES or FIS.

Do I need to submit SAT or ACT scores?
Applicants with 40 or fewer college academic credits must submit SAT or ACT Plus Writing scores and also must:

Do I need to have completed an associate degree to apply?
An associate degree is not required to transfer to the University of Washington Tacoma.

What is the guaranteed admission program for transfer students?
Students who are Washington state residents and have completed an approved transfer degree at a Washington state community college with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 are guaranteed admission to UW Tacoma. Please note that this guarantees admission to the university and not to a specific academic program or major. Students must still submit an application by the application deadline to be admitted.

When should I apply?
UW Tacoma admits students every quarter except summer. Review the application deadlines for more information.

How do I know if my credits are transferable?
Review the general guidelines for transferable credit or look up the courses you have completed in the UW Tacoma Course Equivalency Guide. You may also make an appointment with an admissions advisor to review your transcripts by calling 253-692-4742.

If you have also attended a college, university or post-secondary school outside of the U.S. we will need official transcripts from that school, along with a translation if the transcript is not in English, and a course-by-course evaluation from AACRAO or a NACES approved educational credentialing service such as WES or FIS.

I last attended college 10 years ago. Are my credits still transferable?
In most cases, the answer is yes. There are no time limitations on most credits used to satisfy admission requirements. Some prerequisite classes (usually in math or science) must have been completed within the last five years. Of course, if you haven’t taken math for 20 years, you may want to enroll in a basic math course to refresh your skills. An admissions advisor can help you evaluate your existing college credits.

My previous college used a semester system. How do I convert my semester credits to quarter credits?
One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits. Therefore, a 3-semester-credit course is equivalent to 4.5 quarter credits, and 60 semester credits are equivalent to 90 quarter credits.

Can I change my application quarter after I've submitted my application or been admitted?
In some circumstances, you can defer your application to a future quarter within the same academic year without having to re-apply or pay another application fee. Learn more about deferring your application.

Can I attend part time?
Most academic programs offer a part-time option. Check with an admissions advisor or the academic program for more information.

Is there student housing available?
Limited student housing options at UW Tacoma are available and increasing each year, and there are many other housing options available in the area. Learn more about housing options.

Have a question we haven't answered? Ask us.