As a general rule, the university will not release your education records to a third party without your written consent. This includes tuition account information. The complete university policy on student education records and the location of such records may be found in the Washington Administrative Code under WAC 478-140. The policy covers such items as accessibility, review and expunging of inaccurate records, and costs to be charged for copies of student records.

Release of student directory information

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) protects the privacy of your educational records. However, the following information is considered public or "directory" information and may be released to anyone unless you inform the Office of the Registrar that you do not wish any information released:

  • Name
  • Telephone number
  • Place of birth
  • Major field of studies
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Full-/part-time status enrollment status
  • Most recent previous educational institution attended

If you do not wish to authorize directory release and do not want your directory information to appear in the Student Directory, you may restrict the release of this information through MyUW or by completing a form in the Office of Enrollment Services. Except under provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act of 2001, no information will be released on students who have restricted release of directory information, including degrees awarded and dates of attendance.

Because no information is released, if you choose to withhold directory information, you will be required to conduct all university business in person. If you wish to change your authorization and allow release, you may do so using MyUW or go to the Office of Enrollment Services, present your request in writing, and present photo identification.

Your rights under FERPA

Under the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), you have the right to:

  1. Inspect and review information contained in education records within 45 days of the day the university receives a request for access. You should submit written requests that identify the record(s) you wish to inspect to the Office of the Registrar, Chancellor, Director of your academic program, or other appropriate official. The university official will make arrangements for access and notify you of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise you of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. Request the amendment of your education records that you believe are inaccurate or misleading. You should write the university official responsible for the record, submit required documentation, clearly identify the part of the record you want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested, the university will notify you of the decision and advise you of your right to a hearing.
  3. Consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in your education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception is that which permits disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research or support staff position (including Campus Public Safety personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
  4. File complaints with the Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of Washington Tacoma to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Written complaints should be directed to Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave. SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-4605.