Operators may periodically receive directives from the Motor Pool regarding defensive driving techniques.
A defensive driver is one who:
- Is careful to commit no driving errors
- Makes allowances for the lack of skill and improper attitude of other drivers
- Does not become involved in an accident or a close call because of weather, road conditions, traffic, or the actions of pedestrians and other drivers
- Is continually alert for accident-producing situations far enough in advance to take defensive action
- Concedes the right of way to prevent an accident.