Main page content
Any UW Tacoma student can register their experiences as a Husky Volunteer. Upon graduation and a final service reflection, service medallions are awarded at the following levels:
- Silver: 5 Reflection Logs & 100-200 hrs.
- Purple: 10 Reflection Logs & 200-300 hrs.
- Gold: 15 Reflection Logs & 300+ hrs.
Please note that for the purposes of this program, volunteer service work is unpaid work through a not for profit organization, club, or group contributing to a greater societal good. Required coursework in which you are receiving university credit may not count toward your volunteer service medallion, unless the service exceeds the requirements of the class.
There are many reasons you might serve: to learn, to grow, to give back, to make the world a better place, to gain experience, or to meet new friends and community members. The Husky Volunteer Program offers some additional reasons and benefits for volunteering:
- Develops a more thoughtful connection with the community through reflective logs
- Recognizes students at graduation and the OSCARS with a Husky Volunteer Medallion
- Provides consultations to learn how to incorporate your service work into your professional resume
We can all benefit from volunteering, and we recognize that when we fully embrace it....
“If you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.” - Lilla Watson
STEPS TO YOUR SERVICE MEDALLION
- Make an Orientation To Service Consultation Appointment or attend an Orientation to Service workshop provided at the begining of each term. Learn about the steps to completing your Husky Volunteer Medallion by visiting the Center for Service and Leadership in MAT107 or contact our Program Assistant, Katrina Miyamoto, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Identify A Service Organization. You can log service work you are already doing or we can help you identify organizations that may fit your interests. In either case, you will need to confirm your organization by completing a Service Registration form here.
- Log Your Service Reflections- We log reflections so that we can more effectively engage and impact the communities we care about, helping both you and them grow. We do this because the quality of our service often matters more than the quantity of hours served. When logging your service reflections you may:
- Log ongoing volunteer work at a local organization
- Log onetime service at events (can be done multiple times)
- Log any hours of community service you have done since attending UWT
COMPLETE FINAL REFLECTION & ORDER YOUR MEDALLION (FREE)
May 17th @ 7pm- All awards will be presented at the OSCARS (student award ceremony)
Friends and family are encourage to attend and eat food (free). Ceremonies last approximately 2 hours. More information can be found here: http://www.tacoma.uw.edu/OSCARS