Frequently asked questions about graduate admission

Main page content

Admissions and enrollment

What is the application deadline for graduate admission?

Application deadlines for graduate admission vary by program. Applications received after the application deadline may be considered on a space-available basis.

Should I adhere to the UW Graduate School application date or the date for the program I want to study?

Follow the published deadlines for the program you are interested in studying.

What if my GPA is below a 3.0 on my last 90 graded quarter credit hours or 60 semester credit hours?

A 3.0 grade point average on the last 90 graded quarter credit hours or 60 semester credit hours is a requirement of the UW Graduate School. In special circumstances, programs may admit an applicant with a lower GPA. Contact the individual program for more information.

Do I have to take a graduate school entrance exam?

You must complete the GRE only if you are applying to the Master of Science in Computer Science and Systems, Master of Cybersecurity & Leadership or Master of Arts programs. You must complete the GMAT if you are applying to the MBA program. Taking the GRE is optional for MSW applicants. Learn more about submitting test scores.

What are "competitive" or minimum test scores on the GRE or GMAT?

There are no minimum test scores. Each applicant is considered on the basis of his or her complete application packet. Competitive scores are determined by each year's applicant pool and cannot be predicted in advance of the application deadlines. Contact the graduate program advisor for more information.

Can I attend UW Tacoma graduate classes as a graduate nonmatriculated (GNM) student?

GNM status is granted by individual graduate programs on a space-available basis only. Check with the program prior to applying for GNM status.

I am an international student. Can I apply to UW Tacoma graduate programs?

International students who are on a F-1 or J-1 educational visa must be enrolled in a full-time graduate program. Several of the UW Tacoma graduate programs offer only part-time study. Please check with the program you are interested in to see if international students may apply. Additionally, the Tacoma campus is not currently equipped to offer support services such as specialized academic assistance and English as a Second Language courses.

How soon will I know if I have been accepted?

In general, expect a minimum of one month after the application deadline before notification of admission decisions. Depending on the program, you may be notified by mail or email. Decisions will not be provided by phone.

Finances and housing

What is the cost of graduate school tuition?

Graduate tuition rates vary by program. View the current tuition schedule.

Is there financial aid for graduate students at UW Tacoma?

Yes. Please refer to the Financial Aid section. In addition, some graduate programs offer scholarships for new and current students. After a candidate has been admitted to a program, they may use the Graduate Funding Information Service for assistance in seeking funding for graduate studies

I work for the state of Washington. Can I use my tuition exemption for a graduate program?

Tuition exemption is a privilege extended to employees of the state of Washington and is provided only on a space-available basis. Some UW Tacoma graduate programs and courses are in high demand and do not always have extra space. Some courses that involve one-on-one faculty interaction, such as independent study courses, do not qualify for tuition exemption. Talk to your graduate program advisor for more information.

Do you have graduate student housing?

UW Tacoma currently offers limited graduate student housing. There are also a variety of housing options within a short distance from campus. More information on housing.


How long do I have to complete my master's degree?

The UW Graduate School allows students a maximum of six years to complete a master's degree.

Are classes available during the summer?

Check with your specific program to see if classes are required or offered during summer quarter. Some programs do not offer graduate-level classes during the summer; others require summer courses.

Do I have to do a thesis?

Master's degree programs may include a thesis option and a non-thesis option. Check with your specific program of study to see whether a thesis is required.

Do you help me find a job after I have completed my master's degree?

Neither the Graduate School nor your advisor provide job placement services. However, Career Development and Education can offer guidance in conducting your job search.

How many courses do I have to take each quarter?

To maintain graduate status, you must be enrolled on a full-time (10 credits), part-time (at least two credits), or official on-leave status from the time of first enrollment in the Graduate School until completion of all requirements for the graduate degree. Failure to maintain continuous enrollment constitutes evidence that you have resigned from the Graduate School.

My work often requires that I be out of town for extended periods. Can I take a quarter off when needed?

The UW Graduate School requires that all matriculated graduate students maintain continuous enrollment (excluding summer) in order to maintain their graduate student status. On special occasions, an exception to this rule may be granted by petition (Graduate On-Leave Status). If you take a quarter off without going on-leave, you must apply for reinstatement, which includes a fee. You are encouraged to carefully consider the required time commitment when making application to the graduate program.

Have a question we haven't answered? Ask us.