Canvas is a learning management system (LMS) that provides a collection of built-in tools for uploading course material, communicating and collaboration with students, and distributing assignments and assessments in support of teaching and learning.
A majority of UWT faculty will have their courses on Canvas and you will be expected to use it!
Canvas is a versatile tool that allows instructors to:
- Distribute syllabi, assignments, readings, and other course material
- Maintain an online grade book and track student progress
- Integrate audio and video, online discussion boards, and online quizzing
- Enable synchronous collaboration with Google Docs
- Notify students of course changes electronically
Here is how Canvas works:
- Faculty will build and publish their Canvas Course page for the current quarter.
- Students will login to Canvas (canvas.uw.edu) using their UW NetID and password. Your courses should be in the Courses Dropdown tab at the top of the page.
- If you do not see your current quarter courses listed, there may be several reasons...
- The faculty member teaching your course is not using Canvas or has not published the course yet.
- If you have checked with the faculty member and you still do not see your class, there may be a sync issue between the registration system and Canvas. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The course may be hidden. Click on the "customize" link in the course dropdown and see if you course is listed. If it is then place a checkmark next to it to add it to your current courses list.
From then on, you can access Canvas from the TOOLS menu on the UW Tacoma homepage, in MyUW or go directly to https://canvas.uw.edu
QUESTIONS? JUST ASK!! Email email@example.com